Inveralmond Early Years Centre and Ladywell Nursery School

Inveralmond Early Years and Ladywell Nursery School

March 26th

Box clever is an approach used to support vocabulary development. Naming words are explored first and then describing and action words introduced in subsequent weeks.

We use the children’s current interests and provide them with an enriched vocabulary related to that interest.

At Inveralmond the current theme is the jungle and the naming words we are focussing on are:

jungle   river   water   leaf   tree    panther   parrot   monkey   snake   poison arrow frog   praying mantis   beetle   millipede   leaf cutter ant      tiger    feathers    scales   beak  whiskers   fur

And at Ladywell the theme is animals and their young so the naming  words being introduced later this week will be:

cat/kitten    dog/puppy    pig/piglet   sheep/lamb  hen/chick    cow/calf   horse/foal   duck/duckling  fox/cub   hedgehog/hoglet   rabbit/kit

There are displays of provocation photos with children’s comments in both nurseries.

I would be happy to talk to parents/carers at any time about this approach and will be available on parents evening for a chat, just let your child’s key worker know if you would like to see me and I will ensure I am in the right place at the right time!

Mary Crichton