Chromebooks FAQ

1:1 Digital Learning – Frequently Asked Questions

All S1 pupils attending Stirling Council schools will be provided with an 11″ HP Chromebook in 2018-19.

Chromebooks will be issued by your child’s school from August 2018, following the return of a Chromebook Agreement.

This FAQ will begin to answer many of the questions that you may have about 1:1 Digital Learning.

What is 1:1 Digital Learning?

1:1 Digital Learning is about putting mobile technology into the hands of pupils to enhance learning.  The mobile device that we have decided to issue is the Chromebook. This decision was taken on the basis of results from other local authorities in Scotland who were involved in pilot 1:1 schemes, and the successful two-year pilot at Stirling High School.

How will 1:1 Digital Learning help my child?

Studies involving similar 1:1 schemes have shown that pupils are better involved in their learning, with increased motivation and the potential for higher achievement.

Will my child be using their Chromebook in every lesson?

The Chromebooks will be used to support learning as appropriate. Use of the Chromebooks will vary from lesson to lesson, and from day to day. The technology will enhance rather than replace traditional tools for learning.

When will my child be issued with a Chromebook?

Chromebooks will be issued after pupils return to school in August. The exact time scale will vary, as schools will implement the programme in a way that best suits their own local context and community. No Chromebook will be issued until parents/carers and pupils have signed and returned a Chromebook Agreement.  

Will there be ‘getting started’ sessions for my child to learn the basics of using the Chromebook?

‘Getting started’ lessons will take place from August, before Chromebooks are distributed.

Will my child bring their Chromebook home?

With your agreement, your child can take their Chromebook home.

How long will my child have their Chromebook for?

It is anticipated that your child will continue to use their Chromebook for as long as they remain a pupil in the Stirling area.

Will my child be expected to share their Chromebook?

No. Every pupil is being given their own Chromebook and it is their responsibility to keep it safe at all times.

Do I need to contribute to the cost of the Chromebook?

You will not need to contribute to the initial cost of the Chromebook.

What responsibilities will my child have for the safe use of the Chromebook?

Pupils will be expected to look after their Chromebook and take all reasonable steps to prevent it getting damaged or lost. Any technical issues should be brought to the attention of the school as soon as possible.

Pupils will be reminded of the safe use of the internet and social networking sites prior to the devices being distributed.

What are my responsibilities as a parent/carer?

We would encourage parents and carers to support the school by reinforcing the messages regarding safe use of technology. The use of filters to control access to certain web content at home is recommended. The Council has a management console that looks after the Chromebooks.  This allows the Council to manage the devices, add new apps remotely and monitor the pupil’s usage.

We support internetmatters.org, a website giving impartial advice and step-by-step guides showing how to set up parental controls on your home broadband and other mobile devices. Other online safety resources can be found via the Online Safety tab in the top menu bar of this site.

It would also be appreciated if parents and carers would encourage their child to report any breakages or technical issues as soon as possible.

What are the responsibilities of the school?

The school will provide the Chromebooks and the necessary technical support as detailed in the Home Agreement. Filtered access to the internet via usernames and passwords will continue as at present.

Do I need to provide internet access at home?

No.  While it is anticipated that most apps will require web access, this is provided in school.  If pupils require web access to complete work, they may use the facility either before or after school or at lunchtime. If used at home, Chromebooks will be filtered only based on the protection offered by your home Wi-Fi. Your internet provider will be able to offer you advice on filtering and parental controls.

In addition, Chromebooks can be used in “offline” mode if required.

What if the Chromebook is damaged or stolen?

This should be reported to the school immediately.  Lost Chromebooks can be remotely disabled by the school administrator. In the event of serious or malicious damage, access to a Chromebook may be removed for a period of time.

What happens if there is a technical issue with the Chromebook?

All secondary schools employ an IT Technician and part of their role will be to address technical issues. Some of the issues may be resolved in school but some may require devices to be returned to the manufacturer.

My child is not in S1, why are they not benefiting?

In addition to the purchase of Chromebooks for S1 pupils, all secondary schools now have Wi-Fi (currently only for use with school devices), and high-speed broadband.  Every pupil will benefit from the improved infrastructure. There will be little need for S1 pupils to use existing whole school IT resources, such as sets of Chromebooks, laptops, iPads and computer rooms, giving greater access to other year groups.