Images

Novel Study – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

As part of our ‘School of Magic’ context this term, primary 5 have been reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone as a novel study.

Over the past few weeks we have been learning about some of the different roles involved in literature circles (an in-depth discussion about a given text). Some of the roles are as follows:

• Question Master – ask a range of questions that check/help understanding of the text, ask my group to suggest reasons for a character’s behaviour or to explain why problems have arisen

• Character Cop – understand a character’s personality, relationships and emotions and explain how these make a character do something surprising or unexpected, understanding of a character to predict how they will react to an event or to explain why they reacted to an event in a particular way

• Illustrator – use detail from the text to make visual representation accurate

• Word Wizard – identify and predict the meaning of tricky words using surrounding text and can offer an alternative word

• Summariser – summarise the main ideas of a text

• Connector – talk and write about links made between one story and a range of media (book, film, TV) or real life

• Fortune Teller – predict what will happen next in the story

• Writer’s Tricks – understand the different tricks that writers use and explain why they use them, identify examples of writer’s tricks within a text and explain the effect they have

Throughout our shared reading sessions we have been practising all of these roles. As from next week we will work in small groups, using these roles to help us analyse and evaluate the remaining chapters of the novel.

World Book Day Assembly

On Wednesday 1st March we put together an assembly about ‘World Book Day’ for the whole school. We explained what World Book Day was and we dressed up as our favourite book characters. Some of us performed ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ as this is one of the books we have enjoyed reading in class. We also showed everyone our favourite places to read and talked about what reading means to us.

Isla C (P1/2R) – “I liked saying my lines because it was fun saying it in front of the whole school.”

Matthew (P1/2R) – “My favourite part of the assembly was singing the song and dressing up as a book character. I dressed up as Harry Potter.”

Lucy M (P2F) – “I most enjoyed acting out The Very Hungry Caterpillar story. It was funny when Ewan (the caterpillar) was eating through all the food.”

Charlie M (P2F) – “I really liked speaking into the microphone – it was fun!”