The Literacy Leaders are a group of P4-7 children supported by Miss Ingram. The aim of the Literacy Leaders is to further develop a positive reading culture and foster a love of reading within Newton Primary School.
In order to do this we set ourselves these aims:
- To provide opportunities for reading for pleasure for all pupils throughout the school year
- To develop our library through investigating popular authors and novels to purchase for our library using the Foyles Foundation Library Grant that Newton Primary has received
So far this year we have:
- Purchased new books for our recently developed Library. Literacy leaders created surveys for each class to complete to gather information about Newton’s favourite authors and genres of books. We used this information to decide which books we were going to buy to restock our library. We also worked with the Language Leaders to decide which dual language books we would like! We have been fortunate enough to have been granted thousands of pounds from the Foyles Foundation to purchase new books and so some of the Literacy Leaders had the exciting task of going to visit Waterstones, The Works and Scotia Books to spend the money! We had a fantastic time!
- Created library rules and allocate Library Monitors. As we now have an amazing new library with fantastic new books and audio books, we created rules and guidelines to help make sure our library is looked after properly. We also volunteered to be library monitors, which means we check the library each week and make sure everything is as it should be! We also provide help or reading buddies to the younger classes if they need it!
- Organised Scottish Book Week activities. In November it wasScottish Book Week and the Literacy Leaders provided a range of activities for each class to take part in every day of the week! We even gifted every class with a brand new book to enjoy!
- We organised and ran activities throughout the school for World Book Day. World Book Day took place on Thursday 5th March and had the theme of ‘tell a million stories’. We worked hard to plan an exciting book filled day for everyone at Newton in the weeks running up to it! For P4-7, we hosted a book tasting event in the library. We also visited P1-3 classes and lead games and activities based on some of our favourite picture books! We had to decide on activities, create the resources, create a timetable for us to visit classes and share this information with everyone in the school. Everyone at Newton had a great time and there was a great buzz about books!
Throughout all of our Leading and Learning sessions we have been developing our leadership skills, problem solving, communication, confidence and cooperation skills.
Well done and thank you for all of your hard work so far, Literacy Leaders!