P3M Poles Apart

This term Primary 3M have been learning about the Arctic and Antarctic in our Poles Apart context.

We have learned about the climate there and how to compare it to our own, and other climates around the world. We have also learned about some of the animals that live there and the ways in which they have adapted so that they can survive. Creating a factfile with a partner was a good way to collect this information.

Our trip to Dunblane Library last month was a lovely afternoon and we took part in a fun quiz about some differences between the North and South Poles while we were there. The books we brought back to school have been very useful for finding out more facts. To say thank you we wrote letters to the library as our assessed writing piece this term.

A fun highlight of this context was doing science – especially since our experiments involved ice poles! We saw the changing states of water through boiling, freezing, melting and condensation and thought of examples of this that we often see in real life. Some other ice poles then became ice trolls (fictional creatures from Antarctica) which needed insulated during their trip to Dunblane. We predicted which materials would be the most successful to make their jackets and tested each one over a 15 minute period. After these experiments the ice trolls (poles) mysteriously vanished… perhaps they evaporated!

“I learned that polar bears don’t always stay on land. I didn’t know that before.” Lillian

“I liked learning about how the animals adapted to survive in that place.” Callum

“The North Pole is a much safer place than the South Pole.” Olivia

“I enjoyed making coats for the Ice Trolls.” Keir

“I liked when we did the experiments with the kettle and how the water turned into gas.” Laurence

“I learned that penguins have never seen a polar bear before. I thought that they both lived in the same place.” Charlotte