Antarctic Adventures

On Wednesday 16th January we went on a really looooong journey…all the way to Antarctica! Our tour guides for the trip were Mr and Mrs McCreath who were entertaining, informative and lots of fun. Our journey started with a song played beautifully on the piano by Mrs McCreath – we joined in singing about p-p-p- penguins. We were then introduced to their cuddly penguin who sleeps in Mr and Mrs McCreath’s bed…we thought he might’ve been better sleeping in the fridge or freezer but Mrs McCreath said he quite likes sleeping in the bed. He must be acclimatising! Next up, our expert tour guide Mr McCreath who has recently returned from a 10 day tour of Antarctica shared his experiences and knowledge with us. He went on a boat (more modern than Captain Scott’s) then chose to kayak as part of his tour – we watched videos of him kayaking through the ice and heard it crunching as he paddled. We all loved seeing the photographs of the animals and there were lots of ‘awwwwww’ moments. The penguins were very funny – playing football, tig, sunbathing and even….kissing! We got to pretend to be penguins huddled together in a colony to keep us warm; the penguins at the front then had to waddle to the back when they got too cold. Mr McCreath used 3 of us with our arms outstretched to show us the wingspan of an albatross – it was 3 metres!! We learned that an albatross can stay in the air for about a year without touching the ground – it even sleeps in the air. Our journey came to an end as we got back on the boat and waved goodbye to the penguins.

A few of our favourite parts:

P3A –

Harris M – I thought it was really funny when you told us about the penguins going along their tracks and they kept changing direction and forgetting where they were going.

Helena – I learned that penguins like to steal stones from each other’s nests and I thought it was really funny.

Eva R – I learned that it took Mr McCreath 4 and a half days to get to Antarctica. It sounds like a really long journey – I really want to go there one day.

P3M –

Johnny – I really liked the p-p-p-penguin song because it had some facts in it too.

Emma R – I liked seeing the cuddly toy penguin from Antarctica.

Luke – It was funny seeing the baby wind up penguin hatching out of the egg.

Finally, we would just like to say a massive thank you to Mr and Mrs McCreath – what a wonderful afternoon for the children and teachers!