The 76th Golden Globes award ceremony took place in Beverly Hills on Sunday night.
Yes, it’s that time of year again, Awards Season. Where stars from the world of acting and music award each other for their contributions over the past year. However, this time it’s Hollywood’s greatest stars take centre stage at The Golden Globes.
The 76th awards was co-hosted by Sandra Oh, known for her role in the BBC’s Killing Eve or -for Disney fans- plays Mia Thermopolis’ principal teacher in The Princess Diaries, and Adam Samberg, known for Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The pair introduced different A-list celebrities to present awards such as Best Actress and Best Drama TV series.
Some well known British actors and films managed to nab some Golden Globes this year, including Olivia Coleman, for starring in The Favourite, Richard Madden for the BBC’s Bodyguard and Rami Malek for starring in Bohemian Rhapsody.
Key Golden Globes winners:
- Best film drama – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best film comedy or musical – Green Book
- Best actor in a film drama – Rami Malek(Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best actress in a film drama – Glenn Close(The Wife)
- Best actor in a film comedy/musical – Christian Bale (Vice)
- Best actress in a film comedy/musical – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best TV drama – The Americans
- Best TV comedy – The Kominsky Method
- Best actor in a TV drama – Richard Madden(Bodyguard)
- Best actress in a TV drama – Sandra Oh(Killing Eve)
- Best actor in a TV comedy – Michael Douglas(The Kominsky Method)
- Best actress in a TV comedy – Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvellous Mrs Maisel)
- Best limited TV series – The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Best actor in a limited TV series – Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace)
- Best actress in a limited TV series – Patricia Arquette (Escape at Dannemora)
– courtesy of the BBC.
The Golden Globes is also an opportunity for designers from across the world to style A-list Hollywood actors. Some of the best dressed include:
Lupita Nyong’o in a stunning Calvin Klein dress
Lady Gaga in a beautiful dress by Valentino
Emily Blunt in a gorgeous dress by Alexander McQueen
Saoirse Ronan in a very stylish dress by Gucci.
The Complimentary Gift Bag
Every year the attendants of the ceremony receive a luxury goodie bag worth over $13,000. Some of the gifts include:
- An american luxury tours seven-night Hawaii holiday
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel and Spa two-night stay
- Nuvelon Bluetooth seekers
Something for the Ladies:
- Furla Eden tote
- Thank You Farmer miracle age repair emulsion
- L’Oreal Lash Paradise mascara
And for the Gents:
- Dagne Dover Large Dakota Backpack
- Aveda grooming clay
- Meet the Bulldog razor
Eh… That wasn’t supposed to happen.
Yes, it is a yearly occurrence that something happens that wasn’t quite scripted, be it when Mariah Carey stole Meryl Streep’s seat last year or Emma Stone’s rejected hug in 2017, awkward moments always happen and not even Sandra and Adam, the hosts, can stop them. This year, however, it wasn’t the hosts that caused the awkward moment, it was Nicole Kidman who snubbed Rami Malek when he received an award. He was seen on stage attempting to hug Nicole but she seemed to walk away from him.
The Golden Globes was a great way to kick off the awards season of 2019 and it has to be said that there has been some amazing films and TV shows over the past year, from Bohemian Rhapsody to Bodyguard, there was definitely something for everyone to enjoy.
By Anna Lloyd, Team Reporter
Sources: The BBC, British Vogue, Australian Vogue, CNN