Katie Hunter | Depute Editor-In-Chief

I must admit as I scanned the newspaper headlines last week I did wonder if the famous fast food chain was branching out into hairdressing! The story centres around a school in Great Yarmouth, where the Headmaster sent a letter to parents banning a number of hairstyles including the “Meet Me At McDonald’s” haircut.  As you can see in the image below, the offending haircut features shaved sides and a long curly floppy fringe.  It would seem that if you are not blessed with naturally curly locks then you have to endure the humiliation of sitting through a perm in a busy hairdressers.  (punishment enough I would argue!).

The letter from the headmaster outlined the list of haircuts he had imposed a ban on for boys:

·         “Noticeably longer tops that are not layered in and combined     with sharply contrasting sides and back
·         Variations on the style often known as “Meet me at McDonalds”
·         Overgrown, heavy fringes brushed forward onto the face
·         High top styles of excessive height
·         Shaven parting lines
·         Hair that is teased to give excessive height
·         Any variation on a Mohican style”

This does raise the serious question as to whether schools should be able to dictate pupil’s hairstyles. Personally I did not find the haircut in question that extreme nor do I understand how this style of haircut should ever be assumed to have an impact on a pupil’s attainment, behaviour or discipline. I do however accept that if a school has a school uniform policy which precludes certain hairstyles then this has to be adhered to.

It’s certainly true that school rules help to shape a child into the individual they will become. By following school rules which have been set by the head teacher, pupils are setting themselves up for success in the future as well as teaching them vital skills which involve listening and perseverance. I for one realise that a school could not run effectively if there were no rules but is there a need for these rules to be so controlling?

Whilst I believe parents do have a responsibility to adhere to the school uniform policy, society also tells us that parents must allow their child to express individuality and have more independence. Therefore, if a 15 year old decides to go to the hairdressers on their own and asks for this hair cut are we going to hold the hairdresser responsible?  If rules are to made regarding hairstyles, then I would argue there should be consistency across the board in all schools and the decisions should not simply be down to the personal opinion of the School Head on what they deem to be acceptable. So, for example, looking at the list above, it could be argued that there could easily be differing opinions on what could be construed as “excessive”.

The incident in question does also make me wonder if the list of seven haircuts which were deemed unacceptable for boys would also be similarly unacceptable if a girl came to school with them. Surely in the 21st century, a time period often considered to promote equality, it is only fair that all genders are expected to adhere to the same set of rules.

I agree schools must have rules regarding dress code and it should be clear to pupils and parents what this means however I think in this particular case I would disagree.  Remember it’s what going on inside your head that matters, not on top.

Share this Post