Eleanor Service |

On Tuesday the 19th of September St. Andrew’s and St. Bride’s celebrated the achievements of its 3rd to 6th year students.

The night was attended by proud parents and teachers from our and school and others, along with a variety of invited guests, who all came to support the pupils.

Prizes were awarded for each subject, as well extra curricular achievements, such as athletics and hockey. Those hard working pupils that managed to achieve all As in their exams were also recognised for their amazing success.

One of the most prominent prizes awarded on the night was the Junior and Senior Dux, which was given to the highest achieving pupils. This award truly highlighted the achievements and dedication of our school’s most hard working pupils. They also have the honour of their name’s being added to the board of Dux winners that hangs in the Street area.

Amidst the celebration of success, we were all lucky enough to hear Mr. Jamie Andrews speak.

Jamie Andrews is a motivational speaker who inspired us all with his tragic but hopeful story.

Mr. Andrews started mountain climbing when he was 16 years old. He started with a liking for hill walking and went on to try mountain climbing, and was hooked from his very first time.

After many years of mountain climbing, he embarked on an expedition to climb in the French Alps. Little did he know that it would have a devastating ending.

While climbing the North Face of Les Droites in the French Alps, tragedy struck Mr. Andrews, and his partner Jamie Fisher. They were caught in a terrible storm that left them pinned to the mountainside for five days.

Despite how bleak  the situation looked, one of the most spectacular helicopter rescues was mounted. It saved Mr. Andrews, but tragically, the rescue came too late for his partner Mr. Fisher.

Despite severe hypothermia and frostbite, Mr. Andrews survived, but had to have all his hands and feet amputated in the process.

Mr. Andrews has an inspiring story though. He emerged from this ordeal, and didn’t let it stop him from doing what he loves.

He still climbs mountains, and he skis and runs and leads a very active lifestyle. On top of all of this amazing progress and achievement, he also does loads of charity work with a variety of charities. He works with the British Red Cross, because of the work they do with amputees, and a variety of other charities. He said he likes to keep it as personal as possible.

I was lucky enough to get to interview Mr. Andrews and ask him about his recovery, as well as his opinions on the current situation with the NHS.

When I asked him about how he felt about the NHS cutting funding, he told me that the NHS are still keeping prosthetic limbs quite well funded:

“They’ve been fantastic for me. Skiing and running legs on the NHS. I believe it’s just as good as you’d get anywhere else. They give huge support.”

For him it’s a very personal topic because they “played a major part in his recovery”. He was also given amazing support by his friends and family, and his girlfriend at the time, who is now his wife.

I also asked him what he thought about the current lethargy of teenagers:

“Teenagers have more distractions and screens. They get more opportunities. We need to encourage their potential.”

I can honestly say that he was one of the nicest and most inspiring people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, and he left me with a really motivating thought:

“You only get one chance at this. This is not a dress rehearsal. Make the most of what you have.”

Share this Post