Home Learning for Week beginning 1st June

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 9. I hope you are all safe and well, and have been outside enjoying the lovely weather.

I have listed tasks which can be undertaken during the week and can be carried out in any order. Everyone is in a different situation so please do whatever you can with your child and don’t worry about completing them all.

Spelling

Below are the phonemes/phoneme words/common words for each group. First have a chat about the spelling rule for the phoneme words and check your child knows the meaning of each word. Then try to practise them every day using a multi-sensory activity.  Multi-sensory ideas could include: making the words using playdough, painting the words, writing the words in a sand tray or on a whiteboard/chalkboard, as well as, writing the words on a computer then changing the font/size, writing the words using fancy letters or with eyes shut.  The words could even be written using the hand not normally used for writing.  Can you and your child think of any new multi-sensory activities to try? You could give your child a spelling quiz, either oral or written, at the end of the week to see how many words they can remember.

Reds

Consolidation Week – Please practise the phoneme and common words from the last five weeks (see “Spelling – Reds” tab at the top).

Yellows

Same as the Red Group.  In addition, ask your child if they can think of any other words which have the phonemes that they are revising this week. Please check that the words are spelled correctly and ask them to practise these words as well.

Greens

Consolidation Week – Please practise the phoneme and common words from the last two weeks (see “Spelling – Greens” tab at the top).

Blues

All the letters of the alphabet. Please try to practise saying them correctly and writing them using correct formation.                                                                                                                              Common Words – am, me, my

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Ask your child to write a sentence for each word. Please remind them to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation).

Reading

Please find the text below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Please ask your child to copy this passage into their Home Learning jotter and fill in the missing words then answer the questions.

Grapes

Please ask your child to read “A Very Busy Day” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Pineapples

Please ask your child to read “Looking After Your Bike” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Apples

Please complete pages 1 – 4 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). Words could also be practised using paint, pasta or playdough etc. This booklet was given out in the Home Learning packs.

Also, please complete pages 1 – 4 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). This booklet was given out in the Home Learning packs as well.

Grammar and Punctuation

Please find the tasks below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Please ask your child to complete this work in their Home Learning jotter.

Grapes and Pineapples

Please click on the link below to find different flashcards with incorrect sentences on them. Ask your child to write out the sentence correctly in their Home Learning jotter, fixing the errors involving capital letters and full stops. As a challenge, there is one sentence that requires a question mark at the end, can they spot it?

Correct the Capital Letters and Full Stops

Handwriting

Please complete the page indicated below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Grapes and Pineapples

Apples

Please find below this term’s Learn Its/Counting activities and tasks for your child’s group. Textbook/workbook pages can be completed orally, on paper or in the Home Learning jotter. Worksheets can be printed out, completed orally or in the Home Learning jotter.

Circles

Recognising Money Worksheets

Counting Money Worksheets

Any additional practice that you could do with your child on recognising money, adding up pocket money or asking them to help work out which coins could be used to pay for an item, as well as, any change that they would receive would also be beneficial.

Squares

Recognising Coins Worksheet

Ordering Coins Worksheet

Counting Coins Worksheets

Giving Change Worksheets

Any additional practice that you could do with your child on recognising coins, adding up pocket money or asking them to help work out which coins could be used to pay for an item, as well as, any change that they would receive would also be beneficial.

Triangles

Please continue to count forwards to 20, as well as, counting backwards with your child. Try to count different objects around the house e.g. spoons, crayons. Continue to discuss numbers after/1 more, before/1 less and between, e.g. What number is 1 more than 10?, What number comes before 20?  What number comes between 12 and 14? Also, continue to discuss numbers 2 more/2 less, e.g. What number is 2 more than 16? What number is 2 less than 19?

I Spy Counting Worksheet

I Spy Answer Sheet

One More/One Less Worksheet

Please look at and discuss coins you have at home, and ask your child to identify 1p, 2p, 5p,10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2.

Ask your child to sequence coins in terms of value by looking at the number on the coin.

Other Activities

Below are links to some fun STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) activities that could be undertaken.

Ice Escape
Ice Escape Investigation Activity
Ice Escape Investigation Prompt Card

Paper Towel Rainbow
Paper Towel Colour Mixing Activity

Growing Plants
Plants From Your Kitchen

STEM Challenges
STEM Challenges

Mrs McGarvey will confirm details for Burnside’s Got Talent this week and let everyone know all the information on the school app. I will also post these details on our blog.

I hope you and your child enjoyed the visit to Under the Sea last week. I know I did! There should be another virtual trip this week. Please keep checking the school app for details.

Remember you can share any good pieces of work by emailing them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

I have loved seeing all the photographs of the great jobs that have  already been emailed in. I have included some of these in the “WOW Work” tab at the top. Please remember our blog is public so I can’t use any photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. Mrs McGarvey is able to use photographs of the children on Twitter.

I will post our “Check-in Station” on Thursday so all the boys and girls can let me know how they are doing. It would be great if everyone could leave a comment. Please tell the children I am missing them all and I am so proud of them for trying hard with their home learning.

I hope you all have a super week and keep safe everyone!

Mrs Lindsay

2 thoughts on “Home Learning for Week beginning 1st June

1. Hi Mrs Lindsay

I have been doing lots of work this week ‘ I am reading The Bad Guys in the baddest day ever and having fun with my family

1. Hiya, Noah! It is lovely to hear from you! I’m glad you are having fun with your family. I have never read that book, would you recommend it? I hope the warm, sunny weather comes back soon. Have a good weekend and stay safe. Mrs Lindsay