Home Learning for Week beginning 18th May

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 7. I hope you are all safe and well.

I have listed fewer tasks to be undertaken this week as Friday is a holiday. Hopefully the sun will be shining to allow us all to enjoy the outdoors! These tasks can be carried out in any order. Everyone is in a different situation so please do whatever you can with your child and don’t worry about completing them all.

Spelling

Below are the phonemes/phoneme words/common words for each group. First have a chat about the spelling rule for the phoneme words and check your child knows the meaning of each word. Then try to practise them every day using a multi-sensory activity.  Multi-sensory ideas could include: making the words using playdough, painting the words, writing the words in a sand tray or on a whiteboard/chalkboard, as well as, writing the words on a computer then changing the font/size, writing the words using fancy letters or with eyes shut.  The words could even be written using the hand not normally used for writing.  Can you and your child think of any new multi-sensory activities to try? You could give your child a spelling quiz, either oral or written, at the end of the week to see how many words they can remember.

Reds

“wa” phoneme – was,  wash, water, wall, wander, watch, warm, walk, swallow, swan, wasp Common Words – second, fifteen, five, fourteen

Yellows

Same as the Red Group.  In addition, ask your child if they can think of any others words which have the “wa” phoneme. Please check that the words are spelled correctly and ask them to practise these words as well.

Greens

“ow” phoneme – owl, brown, growl, now, crown, allow, how                                              Common Words – where, too

Blues

All the letters of the alphabet. Please also try to practise saying them correctly and writing them using correct formation.                                                                                                           Common Words – an, is, and

Any colouring tasks or pencil control activities (please see link below) which could be undertaken would also be beneficial as this would aid development of finger muscles which in turn would help with writing letters and numbers.

Pencil Control Activities

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Try writing a sentence for each word. Remember to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation).

Reading

Please find the text below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Please ask your child to copy this passage into their Home Learning jotter and fill in the missing words then answer the questions. You may need to use books or the internet to help complete the grid about sharks.

Grapes

Please ask your child to answer the questions in their Home Learning jotter.

Summarising Task

Ask your child to choose a book of their choice and read it together. Then discuss the main point(s) from the beginning, middle and end of the story and ask your child to draw a picture to illustrate them. Next, ask them to write a few sentences to describe what is happening in each of their pictures. Try to use the words “At the beginning of the story”, “Then” and “Finally” at the start of the sentences. This could be done on a piece of paper (like the picture below) or in the Home Learning jotter.

Pineapples

Summarising Task

Apples

Please complete pages 5 – 8 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). Words could also be practised using paint, pasta and playdough etc.

Dictionary

Strawberries

Please complete pages 11, 12, 13 and 14 (“Sounds Similar 1”, “Sounds Similar 2”, “Making a Word Bank” and “Collecting Words”) of the Dictionary booklet shown below.

Please find below this term’s Learn Its/Counting activities and tasks for your child’s group. Textbook/workbook pages can be completed orally, on paper or in the Home Learning jotter. Worksheets can be printed out, completed orally or in the Home Learning jotter.

Circles

Please use the shapes pictured on page 84 to help your child answer the questions. Please tell the children “vertices” is just another name for “corners”.

Please time your child as they complete the sheet below. They could undertake this task each day, aiming to become quicker at answering the questions.

Squares

Hundred Square Jigsaw Worksheets

Triangles

Please continue to count forwards to 20, as well as, counting backwards. Try to count different objects around the house e.g. spoons, crayons. Discuss numbers after/1 more, before/1 less and between, e.g. What number is 1 more than 17?, What number comes before 16?  What number comes between 18 and 20?

Counting Worksheet 1

Counting Worksheet 2

Missing Numbers Worksheet

Other Activities

You may wish to share the book “How To Not Go To School – Parsley Mimblewood Saves the World” with your child (using the link below), which is about our current situation. Thank you to Ms McGuinness who found it.

Download

I thought this was a lovely Art idea which could be undertaken as a family! You could use any materials you have at home to make your family sunflower and display it at a window.

Below are some fun activities which your child could try that don’t involve any computers or tablets.

I hope you and your child enjoyed the visit to Space last week. I know I did! There should be another virtual trip this week. Please keep checking the school app for details.

Remember you can share any good pieces of work by emailing them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

I have loved seeing all the photographs of the children and their great jobs that have  already been emailed in. I have included some of these jobs in the “WOW Work” tab at the top. Please remember our blog is public so I can’t use any photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. Mrs McGarvey is able to use photographs of the children on Twitter. I have seen pictures of a boy and his bravery poster, someone decorating a stone, and a child who has undertaken their own Solar System project that have been sent to Mrs McGarvey this week!

I will post our “Check-in Station” on Wednesday so all the boys and girls can let me know how they are doing. It would be great if everyone could leave a comment. Please tell the children I am missing them all and I am so proud of them for trying hard with their home learning.

I hope you all have a super week and keep safe everyone!

Mrs Lindsay