Week 22 at Heathery Knowe Primary School and Nursery Class

We have enjoyed another busy week at Heathery Knowe PS through remote and in school learning. We received very helpful feedback from the parent questionnaire and are in the process of contacting parents to discuss feedback further and consider how to continue to improve. If you have not already completed the questionnaire and would like to do so, please use the link below:

https://forms.gle/3jjgUyN23ohLySGE7

Her Majesty’s Inspectors of Education (HMI)

Heathery Knowe PS and Nursery Class have been selected by HMI as part of the national sample of quality of remote learning offered by the school and nursery. This will take place next week and we are looking forward to engaging with HMI to ensure the best learning experiences possible for children attending Heathery Knowe PS and Nursery. This is not a full inspection and no report will be issued to parents.

Transitions 

Mrs French has been in discussions with both Duncanrig Secondary School and Calderglen High School to plan enhanced transitions for pupils who may need additional support to make the transition to secondary school.

Similarly, we are planning enhanced transitions for children who may need additional support to move from nursery into Primary 1. If your child is registered for Heathery Knowe PS and would benefit from this support, please contact the school.

Google Classroom Tips 

Teachers, pupils and parents have been sharing their experiences of Google Classroom. I have answered the most commonly asked questions through the discussions.

When supporting my child, should I correct their errors so the work submitted is correct?

Teachers need to see a child’s own work the same as it would be in school. This enables teachers to assess their understanding of concepts and plan next steps. Please submit the work with errors and the teacher will assess and plan in response to received work.

Teachers place deadlines on  work and I feel under pressure especially when Google Classroom says I am submitting work late.

To organise returned work into a logical order, Google Classroom requires teachers to set a date and time for submission. Please be reassured, we are delighted to receive evidence of learning when it is complete, even after the deadline. This is an organisational requirement of Google Classroom.

My child is working and I am marking it myself rather than uploading it and it looks to the teacher as though they have not completed tasks. Do I need to upload it?

As it would be in a classroom, teachers need to see children’s own attempt at learning to assess and plan next steps. This means that work needs to be uploaded. Please contact the school if you need support with this.

Why can we not be given all work a week in advance?

At all times (remote learning and within a classroom), a teacher plans on a day to day basis for literacy and numeracy and this is always after school and into the evening. It is always responsive to how well the children have understood the concept the day before. Teachers may need to continue at a slower or faster pace depending on the children’s progress. This needs to continue in a remote learning environment.

We are considering if there is a way to provide a schedule in advance or create a folder in each class with other curricular areas for the week ahead but this is in a very early stage and requires full consultation with teachers about the feasibility of this.

I do not have a printer. Please can I have a paper pack?

All learning for children is provided through Google Classroom including teaching videos and all resources. It is important children access the teaching content of pre-recorded and live lessons. Paper resource packs are only suitable for revision material.

There should be no requirement to print any resources. Please contact the class teacher if you feel a resource needs printed and ask how it can be adapted to a digital task.

Do we have to follow the school plan? I would rather do my own activities.

Teachers are planning new and progressive learning experiences for children based on Curriculum for Excellence. This is the learning that is in the forward plan and children would be covering in school. Attending live and pre-recorded lessons and following the class plan is the best way to ensure your child moves forward with the same knowledge and skills as other pupils in the group / class. We appreciate how difficult it is to juggle remote learning with other commitments and would encourage you to contact the class teacher and discuss the best way to support your child’s learning.

The leadership team track engagement of literacy and numeracy and whether children engage in live interactions (Google Meet). If there are less than 10 engagements a week then a member of the leadership team will contact you to find out if any support is required.

Thank you for your continued support.

Kind regards

Kirsty Duff