Kevin Gillick

Hello,

My Name is Kevin Gillick and I am the Youth Worker based at the Anderson High School

I have recently joined SIC Youth from North Lanarkshire Council where I worked as a Support Worker at both a local and local authority level, working with young people around youth participation and engagement.

I recently finished my BA in Community Education at the University of the West of Scotland where I studied for 3 years. I love travelling and have participated in the Camp America and Teach Thailand programmes.

You can find my office at Room 0.08 in the school, if you want to meet me and chat.

What were your feelings before starting to teach at Anderson High School?

I was ecstatic to get the job, although being nervous after being in the school everyone’s so friendly they put me at ease right away I already feel part of the family!

Is it what you expected?

From the outside the school looks amazing it’s even better on the inside and has totally surpassed all of my expectations, it’s a lovely place to work – very relaxed and fun.

What do you like best so far about working at AHS?

So far, I have really enjoyed working with young people to help them get the most out of their youth work experience and having some great banter. The school dinners are also amazing – cannae beat a good pudding!

How does being at AHS compare to other places where you have been at?

It is really refreshing to be in a school that embraces youth work and sees the value in it. It’s clear there’s a great partnership between AHS and youth work services. It’s such a bright and friendly place I already feel great and am loving it. I can’t wait to work with everyone to make it even better. My office is in the Support for Learning department near reception if you want to come along and meet me.

What is your favourite style of music?

Well I’m from Glasgow and we have a DJ there who’s called GBX (George Bowie Experience) it’s really good, you should google it and let me know what you think.

What inspires you?

My inspiration often comes from the work we do in making places the best we can for young people and the communities that surround us. It’s great to have such a great team. We get inspiration from each other and our young people – they are all wonderful people.

Kevin has recently joined us from North Lanarkshire Council working as a Support Worker at both a local and local authority level, working with young people around youth participation and engagement. He recently finished his BA in Community Education where he studied at the University of the West of Scotland for 3 years, he has a love of travelling and has participated in the Camp America and Teach Thailand programmes.

You can contact Kevin on:

Telephone: 01595 808008

Email: kevin.gillick@shetland.gov.uk