Mr Smith’s Hat

During a coffee break before Christmas last year, Mr Smith (PE teacher at AHS) got chatting to Mrs Simpson. He said he had been in 60:40 (the indoor training facility) all morning and he was freezing, as he sat rubbing his head and ears. Mrs Simpson asked if he had a Fair Isle hat he could wear. He answered that he had a few hats but didn’t have a Fair Isle one.

Mrs Simpson reported back to the AHS Maakin and Yakkin gang that Mr Smith was in need of some Fair Isle and so the hat project began.   Blue, grey and orange wool was picked and the hat started with a two by two coloured rib. Mrs Simpson designed two patterns, one with 60:40 on it and the other of a badminton player.  Over the next few weeks various knitters added on a row or two to the hat.   It even did the rounds at the Taak Your Sock night in March where ex-pupil Alyssa Macolmson and various other visitors helped the hat along.

Just before the Easter holidays the hat was finished. There was a presentation to Mr Smith on the first Maakin and Yakkin session back after the holidays – 19 April. He was completely surprised but also delighted with the hat and even stayed on to do a few rows on a Christmas tree just to prove that he was a knitter. Kudos to Mr Smith!

2 thoughts on “Mr Smith’s Hat”

1. I was absolutely thrilled to receive my hat! I had absolutely no idea that this was being done and think the design and colours are great. Many thanks to all those who were involved in this project and be sure that I will wear it with pride! I showed it to my two boys and they asked why I got it, I told them it’s because I am special, to which they replied, no dad it’s because you are bald!

Keep up the good work,

Mr Smith