During this course you will develop the following skills:
Specific language skills
- reading/listening for gist and for detail in authentic texts/audio/video-recordings in the target language
- preparing effectively for a reading/listening activity
- answering comprehension questions in the target language and in English
- writing a summary/commentary
- making notes in English and in the target language
- speaking from notes/recording /giving a presentation
- asking and answering questions
General academic skills
- summarizing information concisely
- researching information in different media
- critically discussing and reflecting on views/intentions expressed or events recounted
- using a dictionary effectively
- reflecting about one’s own learning
- recognizing different language styles
- communicating views and opinions effectively
The material you will engage with will fall into the following broad areas or contexts:
The course assessment has five components.
Component 1: question paper 1 Reading 30 marks 2 hours
Component 2: question paper 1 Directed writing 20 marks (scaled mark 15)
Component 3: question paper 2 Listening 20 marks (scaled mark 30) 30 minutes approx.
Component 4: Assignment–writing 20 marks (scaled mark 15)
Component 5: Performance–talking 30 marks 10 minutes approximately
Assignment–writing Candidates are assessed on one of the four contexts.
Performance–talking Candidates are assessed on at least two of the four contexts.