Promoting Curiosity, Inquiry & Creativity

Milestone 1

I am beginning to show an interest in numbers.

Is your child beginning to show an interest in numbers? For example, their age, house number, how many objects there are etc. Are they making any attempt to count?

Milestone 2

I am beginning to explore mathematical concepts e.g. full and not full.

Does your child show an interest in exploring through play and talk about things being full and empty? Are they beginning to use language of comparison, bigger/smaller, longer/shorter etc.

Milestone 3

I am beginning to look at patterns around me.

Try to provide your child with opportunities for visual exploration. Here is a link to a continue the pattern game…

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/shape-patterns

Try to encourage your child to talk about different patterns, such as patterns on clothes, stripes, spots etc.

Milestone 4

I use blocks to create my own simple structures and arrangements.

Is your child interested in fitting construction toys together such as lego? Can they stack objects? Do they take things apart and put them back together? Do they attempt to fit shapes into a variety of contexts, such as shape sorters?

Milestone 5

I am beginning to understand/use some positional language.

This activity will develop your child’s knowledge of the language of position and direction.

Gather some materials from around the house and allow your child to experiment with the objects, putting them beside and in front. As the adult you can then call out an instruction e.g. put the girl in front of the tree.

Encourage your child to follow the instruction. Change the instruction using different positions using the following language:

Behind

Beside

In top of

Under

In

Milestone 6

I am beginning to show an interest in collecting, sorting and matching one to one.

With adult support, can your child identify objects that are the same, e.g. responds to ‘can you find me one the same as…’. Beginning to sort using own criteria linked to current interests.

Milestone 7

I am developing an awareness of time e.g. EYC routines, special occasions throughout the year etc.

Is your child able to associate a sequence of actions with daily routines? For example, getting up and dressed and leaving the house they know they are going to nursery without you having to say. Are they beginning to anticipate specific times e.g. snack/home time.

Milestone 8

I am interested in what is going on around me.

Will your child watch, with interest, what others are doing around them, both indoors and outdoors? Are they curious, do they like to explore new objects and places?

Please note your child may still play solitary or parallel, may not yet be at the co-operative stage.

Milestone 9

I will explore handling different textures and materials.

Does your child enjoy sensory/messy play? Are they interested in what they discover? Are they beginning to indicate a preference for certain textures/tactile experiences over others.

Please find below a link to ideas and recipes for great sensory/messy play opportunities.

Moon sand – Moon Sand Recipe

Water beads – Water Beads

Rainbow soap slime – Rainbow Soap Slime Recipe

You could also use a tray to allow your child to explore with water, sand, shaving foam, rice krispies etc. If using rice krispies encourage your child to describe how it feels i.e. crunchy, how it sounds when your crunch it etc.

Milestone 10

I am beginning to show an interest/understanding of the natural world around me.

Is your child beginning to sense the world and environment around them? E.g. animals, birds, mini beasts, flowers etc.