Scottish Taster Open Afternoon

We held a wonderful open afternoon to celebrate all that is Scottish. We supported local business, sampled local produce and enjoyed some Scottish entertainment.  We really are a small school with a massive heart and are passionate about community involvement, this was a great event to open our doors and welcome everyone in!  Visitors could browse the classrooms, visit the food fayre and enjoy entertainment from our young people.

We had food donations from  some local small businesses:

Davie McKay

Deli sh

Broun’s Bistro

Doonfoot CO-OP

The whole afternoon was a great display of community involvement and sharing a wealth of local produce with our young people.

What the kids said….

Ailsa

• I liked it because I like the Irn Bru and the shortbread.
  • I liked it all.
  • I enjoyed all the parents coming in.
  • I loved drinking the Irn Bru and trying out the haggis crisps, with the cheese it was delicious.
  • I tried haggis crisps and honey. I liked that people from the community came to our Scottish taster.
  • I loved the shortbread.
  • I didn’t like the fact I didn’t notice the tattie scones! I liked singing the song.
  • I found it very stressful pouring the Irn Bru. I loved the honey, especially the one in the middle. In the beginning I was afraid to do my speech but after I read it I felt a weight had been pushed off.

Arran

• Yesterday we tried new food. I liked the Irn Bru
  • At our Scottish taster afternoon I showed my mum what I had been making in the class and I tried the haggis bon bons.
  • I liked everything because I liked how you could make stuff, I really like the square sausage and I like how eve was playing the bagpipes.
  • I liked the haggis balls and I liked the shortbread.
  • I liked when E and P did their reply fae the lassies. It was funny and she made a funny poster.
  • I really enjoyed all the speeches and listening to the toast to the lassies. I likes saying the reply as well. I really liked the wee ones poems because they were really cute saying them. I think it worked much better than the normal Burns supper that we have because the younger ones don’t like sitting down so long. I liked that people could go round the classes and go to the hall to try new foods. It had a relaxed welcoming feel.

Kintyre

• Some didn’t like the haggis balls but I loved them. The look of them put you off but they were nice. My dad enjoyed coming up.
  • I really liked the shortbread and I liked the speeches because they were really funny.
  • I enjoyed being the butcher because I enjoyed talking to all the people and giving them information.
  • I liked the haggis crisps and it was my first time tasting them.
  • I liked tasting the food especially the shortbread and the cheese. I liked wearing my kilt!
  • I liked the shortbread and the Irn Bru. I liked saying my poem in front of all the people.
  • I liked the shortbread and the cheese.
  • I liked the cheese and having my wee brother up to school.