This curriculum area has experiences and outcomes in six organisers, namely:
- Technological developments in society
- ICT to enhance learning
- Computing science
- Food and textiles
- Craft , design, engineering and graphics
Experiences and outcomes will promote innovative, creative learning approaches with a strong emphasis on practical activities. In West Primary School the technologies provide a wide range of opportunities to design challenging and motivational cross-curricular work throughout all stages of the school.
Learning through technologies enables children and young people to:
- Develop an understanding of technologies and their impact on society—in the present, past and future
- Apply knowledge, understanding and practical skills to design and to create products, processes and solutions that meet needs in play, work and daily life
- Gain the confidence in the skills to embrace and use technologies now and in the future
- Evaluate the technological processes and products critically and constructively, taking account of cultural, ethical, environmental and economic factors
- Experience work-related learning
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) has had a massive impact on education in recent years. Computers can support learning across the whole curriculum and can provide us with quick access to vast amounts of information. At West Primary, we have benefited greatly from the government’s initiative to promote ICT in schools.
Our computer suite has 33 PCs and an interactive 6ft whiteboard where children will be taught a progression of skills and activities based on word processing, databases, spreadsheets and graphics work. In addition, all classes have access to 2 PCs to support the skills taught to the class in the computer suite. Pupils have supervised access to the Internet. This will enable our children to gain the knowledge and skills to be successful in the future. It is expected that netbooks will be available for access by all pupils during session 2012-2013.
All of our classrooms are furnished with an interactive whiteboard. This aspect of the curriculum is continuing to develop and we will be learning with Glow as the session progresses.