Social studies include experiences and outcomes in historical, geographical, social, political, economic and business contexts.
Learning through social studies enables children and young people to:
- Broaden their understanding of the world by learning about human activities and achievements in the past and present political, social and environmental issues, and the values underpinning their own society and other societies
- Develop the capacity for critical thinking, through accessing, analysing and using information
- Form their own beliefs and view of the world and develop their understanding of different values, beliefs and cultures
- Establish firm foundations for lifelong learning.
In West Primary School experiences and outcomes will be grouped in the following way:
- People, past events and societies
- People, place and environment
- People in society, economy and business
Staff select contexts for learning and combine the experiences and outcomes to meet the needs of our own community. We try to focus on key periods and turning points in Scotland’s past and present, and on key elements of Scotland’s geography, its place in the United Kingdom, Europe and the World.