Learning in health and wellbeing ensures that children and young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future.
In West Primary School learning through health and wellbeing enables our young people to:
- experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves
- make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, physical and social wellbeing
- experience challenge and enjoyment
- apply their physical, emotional and social skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle
- make a successful move to the next stage of education
- establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life
Learning through health and wellbeing promotes confidence, independent thinking and positive attitudes and as such it is the responsibility of all staff to contribute to learning and development in this area. We strive to provide a caring, nurturing environment where positive relationships promote health and wellbeing.
The approach in West Primary School will be a holistic one, promoting learning that is coherent, progressive and meaningful. The lines of development will cover the following contexts:
- Mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
- Physical education, physical activity and sport
- Food and health
- Substance misuse
- Relationships, sexual health and parenthood
- Planning for choices and changes
West Primary School promotes partnership working and regards consultation with parents as vital when addressing sensitive health issues, promoting an atmosphere of trust, respect and support.