Ok now that you are all warmed up then take a look at the assignments that I have set for you today.
All of these will be going on the Blog as well just in case of any internet issues.
If you have any problems then ask via the general post board/ chat/ school blog or email. First of can you practice tagging me in the reply section of this post. Use @Mr Morrison “got it”. This will let me know who is here.
Your daily tasks for today are as follows:
- Spelling (It is Monday morning after all). We will be revising words from the beginning of the year. Remember to stretch out the sounds and look at the syllables.
- Maths…weight for it… is weight conversions. Part of this task involves you hunting for g and kg on food packaging. Please leave cupboards as tidy as you find them or tidier.
- It is an illustrator task. As it is a nice day you could always complete this outside in the garden. Remember to read at least 15 to 30 mins before starting the task.
You also have a personal project to start. Look carefully at the instructions and complete the part for Monday. This project will be due on Friday 27th, March, 2020.
Remember that I am online at the usual times say hey and let me know how you are getting on.
This week we will be looking at word problems. Please remember your CUBES method and your bar modelling can help you to figure out what the question is asking you.
- Alyssa has 121 books. Sara has 120 books. How many books do they have together?
- There are 100 scissors in the drawer. Mary placed 130 more scissors in the drawer. How many scissors are there now in total?
- Mike’s secondary school played 952 football games this year. He attended 575 games. How many football games did Mike miss?
- Jessica picked 115 oranges and Dan picked 131 oranges from the orange tree. How many oranges were picked in total?
- Dan has 718 violet marbles, he gave Melanie 326 of the marbles. How many violet marbles does he now have?
- Mr Gifford has 282,519 photos on his camera. His sister has 632,649. How many more photos does Mr Gifford’s sister have?
- Samantha has 438,670 DVDs in her collection. Tara has 234,548. How many DVDs do they have together?
- In an endurance race, George ran 366,264m. The winner ran 406,938m. How much further was the winning distance?
- Sam the giant ate 481,930 people. His dad ate 620,784 people. How many more people did his dad eat?
- In January, 1,470,306 people visit the swimming pool. In June the number of visitors increases by 1,742,465. How many people visit in June?
This weeks spelling words are listed below.
Cent-, Kilo- and Milli-
Maths homework this week is patterns and sequences. Please try the hot one if you are able or even just a few from it.
Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
A) 3, 5, 7, ___, ___, ___, ___,
B) 20, 30, 40, ___, ___, ___, ___,
C)16, 14, 12, ___, ___, ___, ___,
D) 1, 7, 13, ___, ___, ___, ___,
E) 20, 31, 42, ___, ___, ___, ___,
F) 26, 23, 20, ___, ___, ___, ___,
G) 11, 17, 23, ___, ___, ___, ___,
H) ___, ___,91, 102, 113, ___, ___,
I) ___, ___, 97, 64, 31, ___, ___,
j) 30, ___, 20, 15, ___, ___, ___,
- -16, -9, -2, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 20, 31, 42, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 133, 130, 127, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 11, 17, 23, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 9, 0, -9, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 26, 16, 6, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- –5, 0, 5, ___, ___, ___, ___,
- 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, ___, ___, ___, ___,
Now have a go at these more tricky sequences!
- 2, 4, 8, 16, ___, ___, ___,
- 6, 18, 54, 162, ___, ___, ___,
This is the first homework of the year so we are focusing on our new spelling homework. Reading books will be assigned in class this week, to be sent home next week but if the children could note down any books they are independently reading at home at the back of their homework jotter. Math homework will also start next week to allow the children to focus on their spelling work.
This week we have been looking at words that have either –age or -ege. Each child has written in their jotters what is expected over the week to practice their words. We are also using Highland Spelling in class and pupils are encouraged to find the root of the word and as many shoot words as possible.
Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
age + ege words
This term we will be revising our times tables. You are expected to learn them as well as you can each week and will be given a challenge to complete. This week I have attached 2 worksheets
1 – 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 Times tables
2 – 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 Times table
You can choose which one to complete or you can complete both to challenge yourself.
To prepare for next week’s work.
Bakari and the Balloonana – next 4 chapters
Diamond – Next 2 chapters
Others -Accelerated reading- as instructed
Please remember to use look, cover, write, check.
You can choose to use some of your words to write 3/6 up-levelled sentences (as instructed) or write a paragraph including at least 3 of your words. Remember to look at the V.C.O.P pyramids in your diary then challenge yourself to different openers in each sentence.
Can you find more words using this week’s spelling pattern? Is it possible to find and write 10 more words?
Or you can choose 1 activity from the Word Study choice Board in your jotter.
Below are your words for this week.
Thank You. Mrs McLean.
|w.b 15.4.19||spelling pattern: ous suffix –ically|
I have not set a specific task for homework this week, however I would like you to practise your skills of counting back mentally.
Choose a number between 50 and 100 then count back in 3’s, 4’s and 6’s.
Remember too you can visit Sumdog to keep your number skills sharp.