This week we will be looking at word problems. Please remember your CUBES method and your bar modelling can help you to figure out what the question is asking you.
- Alyssa has 121 books. Sara has 120 books. How many books do they have together?
- There are 100 scissors in the drawer. Mary placed 130 more scissors in the drawer. How many scissors are there now in total?
- Mike’s secondary school played 952 football games this year. He attended 575 games. How many football games did Mike miss?
- Jessica picked 115 oranges and Dan picked 131 oranges from the orange tree. How many oranges were picked in total?
- Dan has 718 violet marbles, he gave Melanie 326 of the marbles. How many violet marbles does he now have?
- Mr Gifford has 282,519 photos on his camera. His sister has 632,649. How many more photos does Mr Gifford’s sister have?
- Samantha has 438,670 DVDs in her collection. Tara has 234,548. How many DVDs do they have together?
- In an endurance race, George ran 366,264m. The winner ran 406,938m. How much further was the winning distance?
- Sam the giant ate 481,930 people. His dad ate 620,784 people. How many more people did his dad eat?
- In January, 1,470,306 people visit the swimming pool. In June the number of visitors increases by 1,742,465. How many people visit in June?