Technology – the application of knowledge and skills to extend human capabilities and to help satisfy human needs and wants – has had profound effects on society.
Scotland has a strong tradition of excellence and innovation in technological research. This is especially true in areas such as engineering, electronics, optoelectronics, biomedical research, genomics and cell engineering. Scotland’s people need to be skilled in technologies and to be aware of the impact of technologies on society and the environment, now and in the future. Learning in the technologies provides a strong foundation for the development of skills and knowledge which are, and will continue to be, essential in maintaining Scotland’s economic prosperity.
The technologies framework has six organisers, namely:
- technological developments in society
- ICT to enhance learning
- computing science
- food and textiles
- craft, design, engineering and graphics
Through particpatingin topics realted to the areas above, children develop the skills to beceom informed, thoughtful, adaptable and enterprising citizens, who are able to:
- develop understanding of the role and impact of technologies in changing and influencing societies
- contribute to building a better world by taking responsible ethical actions to improve their lives, the lives of others and the environment
- use technologies now and in the future, at home, at work and in the wider community with confidence
- make reasoned choices relating to the environment, to sustainable development and to ethical, economic and cultural issues
- broaden their understanding of the role that information and communications technology (ICT) has in Scotland and in the global community
- broaden their understanding of the applications and concepts behind technological thinking, including the nature of engineering and the links between the technologies and the sciences
- experience work-related learning, establish firm foundations for lifelong learning and, for some, for specialised study and a diverse range of careers.