Class Activities

Good afternoon Primary 1! ☀️🌈☀️ I hope you have all had a lovely week and have enjoyed completing your activities. Mrs Russell has uploaded a little story ‘Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy’ for you in the files section and I hope you all enjoy it! 🐑Her little lambs definitely enjoyed listening to it however they weren’t as well behaved as all of you! How many lambs can you count? 😂 Kind permission was given by the publisher Puffin Books. Have a lovely long weekend and I look forward to catching up with you all on Tuesday. Keep safe! 🌈

Thursday 21st May

Good Morning! Today is our last school day before a long weekend. I will be rewarding the extra coins on Sumdog later to anyone who has had a go this week. Since yesterday’s story and activity was so popular I thought I would post another one today about spreading kindness and being happy ⭐ It is called ‘Have You Filled a Bucket Today?’ Here is a link to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuemNAo6XE  I have attached a bucket template you can use but feel free to just draw your own bucket and write/draw all the things inside that make you feel happy. 🙂

Wednesday 20th May

All our activities are now on P1 Teams.

If you are having any problems accessing Teams let me know.

Here are today’s activities just in case you can’t access Teams yet.

The weather is going to be great today. Try and spend as much time as you can outdoors but remember to put on some suntan lotion (sun) Here is a lovely outdoor art project you can try over the next few days. Can you create a kindness rock? You can do as many as you like. You could add a design or write a special message on your rocks. You might decide to do one for each person in your family or you could leave them outside for a neighbour to pick up. Have fun!

Today read this short story ‘Everybody Worries’. What is the message of the story? Your task is then to design a new book character/monster of your own then upload a photo for us all to see. Be as creative as you can. If you want an extra challenge, write some describing words about your little monster. I look forward to seeing them later on (smile)   https://en.calameo.com/read/000777721945cfe5bb9cc?authid=Xu9pcOzU3TQx

Tuesday 19th May

Good Morning Primary 1!

Here are a few number problems for you to try.

1. You have been imprisoned at the top of the Tall Tower by the Wicked Magician!

You can get out by climbing down the ladders. As you come down you collect useful spells.

You can go down the ladders and through the doorways into an adjoining room, but you cannot go into the same room twice, nor climb up the ladders.

The numbers in the rooms show how many spells there are in each one.

Which way should you go to collect the most spells?

And which way to collect as few as possible?

Can you find a route that collects exactly 35 spells?

2. Two Dice.
If you add up the dots on the top you’d get 7 !
Roll the dice. Add the numbers that are on the top.
What other totals could you get if you roll the dice again?

Notes for adults

You will need two dice to play this game. The children can count the total number of spots on the dice or add them together using number facts they already know.
Record the results and explore the different totals that you can get.
Help them to find all the possible combinations.

3. Arrange the numbers 1 to 6 in each set of circles below.

The sum of each side of the triangle should equal the number in the centre of the triangular shape.

1. Secret Number

This is a game for two players and a simple calculator.

Annie and Ben are playing. Annie puts her secret number into the calculator without showing Ben.

Annie then asks Ben, “What do you want to add?”

Ben tells Annie the number he wants to add. “I want to add four.”

Annie presses the ‘add’ button and then the four button. The calculator now shows ‘4‘. Annie gives the calculator to Ben..

Ben presses the ‘equals’ button and the calculator gives the answer ‘10‘.

What was Annie’s secret number?
How do you know?
You could play this with a friend. If you work out your friend’s secret number correctly, it is your turn to put in a secret number of your own. You could score a point for every one you get right.

Have fun!

Monday 18th May

Good morning and welcome to a new 4 day week. Friday is a holiday!

You might want to enter a competition to design a new Header for the school website. Click on the link below. Good luck!

Design a Header comp new

Here is a list of lots activities you can choose to try at home. Let me know what you choose and how you get on.

A little bit of fun for you. Click on the link below and try to guess who the teachers are! The photos are from when we were all at school.

Guess the Staff

Sumdog Competitions

The Sumdog competitions start again today. This week there is a chance to win extra coins! See below for more details:

Sumdog Coin Rewards

Friday 15th May

It’s Friday again! Well done everyone for all the fantastic activities you are getting involved in and the amazing ideas you are thinking of to keep busy. Have a lovely weekend!

If you have been busy preparing your Quiz Night then here is the last task. Let me know how it goes.

Lots of you have been enjoying the scavenger hunts so you can try an outdoor or indoor one today…..or both!

Sumdog Competitions

The Maths and Spelling Sumdog competitions are back this week. Good luck! I will be logging on to see how you are getting on throughout the week.

Mr Martindale and his wee girl Amelie have recorded a story for you to listen to. Enjoy!

I found this lovely story which might help some of the children make more sense of our current situation.

youtube.com/watch?v=DA_SsZFYw0w

Thursday 14th May 2020

Good Morning!

From tomorrow the web page will be divided into four sections. Please select each tab to view the relevant information. Thanks.

I had lovely chats yesterday with some of you and I enjoyed hearing about what you’ve all been doing.

Bella was talking about her rabbit Oreo and I said I would put a picture of my rabbits Lottie and Winston on for you all to see. Lottie is a bit camera shy!

I thought I would post a lovely outdoor art activity for you to try today. Can you make a colour wheel with lots of different flowers and leaves? Examples posted below. Please send me a photo if you try it out.

Here is today’s Quiz Night challenge:

Primary 1 we were in 3rd place yesterday in the Sumdog maths competition. Keep it up!

Wednesday 13th May 2020

Good Morning everyone. I hope you are all well.

Today’s Quiz Night challenge is to make a poster to advertise your quiz. Remember to include all the important details and make it bright and colourful.  Have fun!

00:00
00:

Tuesday 12th May 2020

Good Morning Primary 1. It is another beautiful day so try to get outside and enjoy the lovely weather.

Here is today’s Quiz Night challenge. Create a set of rules and a score sheet for everyone who is taking part!

Monday 11th May

Hello Primary 1. I hope you had a lovely long weekend. You could write some news about what you did and send it to me. Did anyone do anything special to celebrate VE Day?

Tasks

This weeks challenge is to create a Quiz Night! I will post a new task each day and by Friday you will be able to enjoy your Quiz Night.

Here is today’s starter challenge:

Sumdog Competitions

Here is a Scavenger Hunt to try. Talk about your favourite book and what you like or dislike about some books that you find.

Here is a link to a May Wellness Calendar, it gives you some lovely active ideas to complete at home over the month when you have some free time, enjoy!  May-Calendar

Wednesday 6th May 2020

Good Morning. The teachers are busy over the next couple of days with meetings and planning so I hope you have fun whatever you choose to do. Enjoy the sunshine and VE Day on Friday.

Monday 4th May 2020

Some other VE Day activities for you to try this week…

You could maybe call, FaceTime or write to your Grandparents, Great- Grandparents or elderly neighbours and ask them what it was like to be young during the 1940s. Think of questions you would like to ask them.

Create a poppy

A  poppy is something we wear to remember the people whose lives are affected by wars.

Can you try to make your own poppy? You can be as creative as you want. This could be by drawing around your hands or even using  paint.

Games from the 1940s

Maybe you could try playing some of the games that were popular during the 1940’s.

Jacks, hopscotch, marbles, skipping

Two balls on the wall – Start slowly, hold two balls and throw them up against the wall one by one and catch them. When confident add more balls or allow a bounce before catching.

Foursquare or Boxball – The only things you need to get started in a game of Four Squares are some chalk, a patch of concrete somewhere, a bouncy ball like a football and four people. Draw a large square and divide this big square into four equally sized small squares, numbered 1-4. Each player stands in one of the four squares. To start the game, the player in square four serves the ball by bouncing it in their square once and then hitting it towards one of the other squares. The receiving player then hits the ball to any other player in one of the other squares.  The ball must bounce in another player’s square, and they must hit it to another player before it bounces a second time.  A player may hit the ball before it bounces, if they choose to do so.   If a player hits the ball so that it misses another player’s square, or fails to hit the ball before the second bounce after it has landed in their square, they are “out”.  When a player is out, the other players move up to take their place, and that player moves to the last square, or to the end of the line, if there are more than four players. The object of the game is to move up to and hold the server’s position.

Cats cradle—In cat’s cradle, two people make shapes with string and pass them back and forth. To play cat’s cradle, you need: two people and a piece of string tied at the ends to make a circle—

How to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHTPnrYLzQ

75 seconds— How many can you do? star jumps? Claps? Hula hoops? catch a ball? Create your own?

Singing and dancing to some 1940s songs

The Andrews Sisters – Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm1wuKvrxAw

Run, Rabbit, Run sung by Flanagan and Allen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoLchtG8vTk

Friday 1st May

Hi everyone! Friday again. I hope you have enjoyed some of the pirate activities this week. Here is one more science experiment for you to try. You don’t need all the resources , just use what you can find in the house or garden.

Thursday 30th April

Good Morning! Can you believe it is the last day of April? A new month tomorrow is a good way to talk about the months of the year. Can you say them in order? Can you name the month in which you celebrate: your birthday, Christmas, Hallowe’en, Valentine’s Day etc.  There are lots of songs online to help you remember them. You could try this cut and stick activity too. Just click below.

Months of year

I wonder what happened to those coins you put in the fridge yesterday?

Today you can try this experiment. It is asking you to think about and experiment with materials to find out if they are waterproof or not? You can then experiment with other materials inside and outside. With help you could design a way to record your results. I’d love to see them.

Whatever you get up to today I hope you have fun!

Wednesday 29th April

Good Morning Primary 1. I hope you and your families are all well. Bella has been trying out the pirate science experiments this week. Here she is discovering all about density.

Don’t worry if you haven’t had a chance to experiment yet, they will all stay on here for you to try at a later date. Or when you’ve managed to get to the supermarket!

You will have to be patient with our experiment today. You will have to put it in the fridge overnight and test it tomorrow!

Tuesday 28th April

Ahoy, Me Hearties! Did you find time to try the pirate density experiment? If you have a magnet at home you can try this one. Can you sail your pirate ship to the treasure? Or you could have a treasure hunt in the house or garden. Make a map and follow the clues. Good luck!

Monday 27th April 2020

Good morning everyone and I hope you all had a fantastic weekend.

This week I thought we could be pirates!! I wonder if you can find materials around the house and use them to make a pirate hat, an eyepatch or even a hook!

There are lots of pirate stories online or you could try to write your own. Here is your first pirate science experiment of the week. Try to predict what you think will happen. Have fun!

Another Sumdog Challenge has started this week. Not only maths but also spelling! It’s a great way to practise your phonics and reading. Give it a go!

Hello everyone!

When we are at school we have “Fruity Friday”.  I wonder if you could eat some fruit today and maybe even try one you’ve not eaten before?

Remember to send me pictures of your favourite home activities so far.

I know that some of you really enjoy the Scavenger Hunts so here is another one for you to try.

What is Earth Day?

Earth Day is a celebration of the planet we live on as well as an opportunity to talk about climate change action.

All around the world people take part in events to promote climate action and encourage others to protect the planet.

Here are some websites which you might want to look at:

https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-quizzes/

https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52357230

Maybe you could design a poster about our Earth and how we can protect it.  Go outside and make something using the natural resources you find. Think about Reduce, Reuse and Recycle and use some junk to make a model.

I’d love to see or hear about what you get up to. Have a great day!

Happy Tuesday!

It’s another lovely sunny day so try to get outside if you can. It is Earth Day tomorrow so collect some leaves, stones,twigs and petals and use them to make a collage picture.

Here is another Scavenger Hunt for you to try.

BBC Bitesize Daily launches Monday, April 20 across BBC iPlayer, Red Button and online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/Bitesize

The Renfrewshire Numeracy Team will be releasing daily videos with maths problems for all ages. These can be accessed here:   https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/re/resourcestosupportlearning/team-ren-maths/