In its commitment to offering positive and sustained destinations for school leavers, Perth and Kinross is offering a number of online courses which offer senior phase students the opportunity to develop key skills that are valued in the current jobs marketplace. They are about achievement, not attainment
Courses- 5 general achievement courses
- Pathway to law- OU Paid with OU assessment
- Pathway to medicine- Free choice from thousands of courses plus learning log and peer collaboration. No formal assessment
- Beginners’ Spanish– Edmodo/Scholar from web content with final task, assessed by PKC teacher
- Beginners Mandarin-Edmodo/Scholar from web content with final task, assessed by PKC teacher
- Starting and building a business- MOOC content from Udacity plus optional Alison courses and real world business setup. No formal assessment but opportunity to develop enterprise.
The Perth and Kinross Digital Literacy Award
- App Developer
- Web Developer
- Games Developer
- Digital Creativity
- Blogging +Social Media
Perth and Kinross is offering an award upon successful completion of one of these online courses.
The award will be called ‘The Perth and Kinross Digital Literacy Award’ and consists of core units plus options. All of the specialist options will culminate in a final ‘real world’ project. This is decided by the student but guidance will be provided.
Mentoring and Assessment
Online mentoring and support will be provided by Codecademy and SDK support forums but VLE Coordinator will have overview and provide PKC mentoring/issue tracking
Final assessment will be by VLE coordinator and assembled team from Computing CIN and PCC PROGRAMME BOARD
There will be a presentation event in June 2014 where students will be expected to showcase their project work to the assessment panel and representatives from the business world.
Options and additional course content
- Digital Creativity: digital film production, editing and web upload. Final project to produce a commercial-quality digital movie for a real-world context
- Blogging and Social Media: WordPress CMS will be blog platform; focus upon social media channel integration and how blog posting is central to this. Final project will be to develop a blog/website and social media integration for a real-world context.
The real world contexts
- Marketing website/application for: business, social enterprise, band, extra curricular activity
- School focus: whole school or department website/ application
- Environmental: e.g. Work with RSPB to develop web presence to support protection of Black Grouse
Check out this TED talk video from Mitch Resnick about why kids need to learn to code