Who can we help?
- Babies, children and young people with a diagnosed hearing difficulty until they leave school.
- Parents/guardians who need information or help in supporting their child’s development.
- Teachers and wider school staff working with pupils who have a hearing loss.
What help can we provide?
- Developing approaches with parents which will help their children to make the most of their abilities.
- Working with children in
- language development
- auditory training
- hearing aid maintenance
- using technology and other aids
- Working with teachers and other professional colleagues to help children to develop their full potential.
- Providing information and advice about hearing aids and other support which will help children with their schoolwork at home or school.
- Supporting teachers in the classroom
- Lending FM systems and environmental aids
- Offering training for teachers and school staff working with children and young people with hearing difficulties.
What expertise do we have?
- We are specialist teachers with experience in
- the development of children and young people with a hearing impairment
- supporting children in coping with problems associated with having a hearing impairment
- working with parents to develop their children’s abilities.
- We work closely with, and have access to a range of professional colleagues and services, both within and out with the Education Service, in particular
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Tayside Deaf Children’s Society.
How can we help?
- We will arrange to meet with you and your child. This meeting will explore how best we can help meet your child’s needs.
- We will then agree an appropriate programme of support, from advising the school to direct support with your child.
- We will review your child’s progress with you at regular intervals.
- If you want to refer your child directly to us please contact us by phone – if you leave a message on our answering machine we will get in touch with you.
- Other professional staff and agencies may refer your child, with your permission.
- These include:
- health visitors
- educational psychologists
- pre-school staff
Where are we?
- The Hearing Support Team is part of the Sensory Services Service. We are a visiting service and cover the whole of Perth and Kinross.
- We are based at:
Perth PH1 1DF