Sex Education

SEX EDUCATION AT ERROL PRIMARY SCHOOL

Click this link for our Relationships & Sexual Health Policy.

In Curriculum for Excellence sex education is included within the curriculum area of Health and wellbeing under the heading of Relationships, sexual health and parenthood.  Therefore, sex education is taught within the context of understanding friendships and relationships rather than just the physical aspects of sex; and within the overall context of being mentally and physically healthy.

From the first year of nursery to primary 4 children will work on the following statements, which do not have any overtly sexual content:

• I am aware of how friendships are formed and that likes, dislikes, special qualities and needs can influence relationships.
  • I know that there are people in our lives who care for and look after us and I am aware that people may be cared for by parents, carers or other adults.
  • I am aware of my growing body and I am learning the correct names for its different parts and how they work.
  • I am learning what I can do to look after my body and who can help me.
  • I am learning about respect for my body and what behaviour is right and wrong. I know who I should talk to if I am worried about this.
  • I understand positive things about friendships and relationships but when something worries or upsets me I know who I should talk to.
  • I am aware of the need to respect personal space and boundaries and can recognise and respond appropriately to verbal and non-verbal communication.  
  • I recognise that we have similarities and differences but are all unique.
  • I am learning about where living things come from and about how they grow, develop and are nurtured.
  • I am able to show an awareness of the tasks required to look after a baby.

From primary 5 to primary 7 children will work on the following statements:

• I understand that a wide range of different kinds of friendships and relationships exist.
  • I am aware that positive friendships and relationships can promote health and the health and wellbeing of others.
  • I am identifying and practising skills to manage changing relationships and I understand the positive impact this can have on my emotional wellbeing.
  • I recognise that how my body changes can affect how I feel about myself and how I may behave.
  • I can describe the physical and emotional changes during puberty, understand why they are taking place and the importance of personal hygiene.
  • I know that all forms of abuse are wrong and I am developing the skills to keep myself safe and get help if I need it.
  • I am able to describe how human life begins and how a baby is born.
  • I can describe the role of a parent/carer and the skills, commitment and qualities the role requires.

Teachers use the Perth & Kinross Living and Growing programme, a child friendly resource specifically designed to teach sex education in schools.  Our school nurse works with teachers of upper school classes to deliver sex education.  In all sex education lessons teachers are sensitive to the age of the children and teach appropriately.

Using the Living and Growing programme:

• P5s will learn about Changes in Puberty, Menstruation and Body Words.

• P6s will learn about: Menstruation and Hygiene, How does a baby start? and How is a baby born?

• P7s will be taught the units titled: Check out the changes, girls! (for girls only), Check out the changes, boys! (for boys only) and Conception.

Parents are welcome to view the resources we use on appointment through the school office.