Local Primary 7’s Uncertain about Academy’s Plans

Fyfe Craigie

West mainland P7’s still not in the know. 

Stromness Academy from the Orcadian Newspaper website.

Covid-19 has closed schools nationwide. Little is known about what to do about the upcoming transition days.

Transition days happen in late June, giving the new pupils a chance to visit the school, be shown around, make friends with other primary schools and try out their subjects. Currently it is unknown whether this is going to happen at all, unless lockdown measures are eased or lifted during the summer holidays.

Headteacher Mrs Partridge has confirmed that transition activities will be very, very important, but no plans can be made till it is clear school will go ahead.

Schedules after the summer holidays may also be changed, giving the new S1’s a much harder timetable and work plan to cope with.

Mrs Partridge has said that school life will be different from our usual. The Scottish Government proposals have considered a staged return to normal school life, with staggered classes and/or limited numbers among the suggestion.

Keryn Craigie, a P7 student, said: “I am a bit more nervous about moving to the academy, and a little disappointed I miss my days. I miss my chance to meet people from other schools.”

Among the Primary 7’s there is a rather nervous feeling in the air, but with transition activities being considered perhaps it will put their minds at ease.