A few weeks ago some children from Sanday school came over to our school. We spent most of our time outside because we have a tiny school and there were so many of them. We went on a walk to the top of the hill behind the school, we showed them our polycrub, we played in the playground and we also played some board games. It was really fun and I got to speak to the people I had met when me and Jack were going over to Sanday every Tuesday.
On Wednesday the 30th of August me and Jack went to Birsay for three days. There were people from Stronsay, Sanday,Westray and Papay; it was only for primary sevens and secondary one.
The event was run by Outdoor Education and we stayed at the hostel. There wasn’t enough room in the hostel so the first night the girls stayed in tents outside and the second night the boys were in tents and the girls were in the hostel. I shared a tent with Megan from Westray and Katelyn her friend, who was also from Westray.
There were some activities as well, we did some raft building, archery, a climbing wall, bush craft, group teamwork activities and orienteering. It was all great fun and I really enjoyed it.
Recently we put the doors up on the polycrub and have finished the beds. We have also been re potting tomatoes and herbs so soon they will be ready to put them in the beds and when we went to Kirkwall we bought some seeds, pots and tools from Shearers with our fifty pound voucher.
The nursery also have a little bit in the polycrub where they are going to plant some peas and carrots.
At After School Club we made a mini film about snails to see what they do. We used a Raspberry Pi to take pictures of them every minute for about 16 hours with the help of Malachi’s dad who showed us the code, and then he edited it for us and put all the pictures together We edited it and then it started to work.
Hannah’s Mum (Kate) let us use her snails as an experiment and because she runs after school club so we can have fun, she used to be the ranger so it was ranger club and we learnt about nature.
On Thursday the sheets for the Polycrub were put on.
Barry, Adam, Mike, Lauren, Jonathan, Jeff, Mr Miller, Kate and Hamish came to help.
Adam and Hamish had to climb on the polycrub to put the sheets on, We had to put screws in the sheets to secure them then we put washers on the screws, two or three people had to carry one sheet.
We finished at half seven and stayed there until about eight but we put all the sheets on now we only have to put the ends and doors on and we can start to sort the inside.
Yesterday we were planting tatties. We planted White Dukes, White Dukes have a dry mealy texture and also have a firm pale yellow flesh. White Dukes are first earlies but next we are planting Kestrels which are second earlies, Kestrels are a creamy, fleshed fairly dry textured tattie.
Today we were digging the garden so it was ready to plant tatties in, we dug a row then put compost in, however when we dug the next row we put the soil in to the row we just dug.
The younger ones were picking weeds from the raised beds so we can plant in them again soon,we got four types of tatties from shearers, King Edwards, Swifts, Kestrels and White Duke of York, there are twenty of each and we are going to plant them in the ground we dug.
The soil was a nice kind of soil because it has a good mixture of compost, sand, clay, damp and a bit of worm manure, also it had a good tilth.
Today we found out we were going to get a polycrub so we had to choose where to put it.
First we were put in to groups to find a good place then we had to measure the spot we chose and mark the corners with cones to make sure there was enough space and finally we looked at each others spaces to see if they were accessible, close to facilities and had space, if you thought it was good you put thumbs up but if not we put thumbs down .