AFYD-Stronsay J.H. fishing trip.

On 2nd June, the AFYD pupils from Stronsay J.H descended on the Mainland lochs… It seemed to be quite a long time when they suggested in class, back in September that they would fancy a fishing trip and grilling their catch by the shore!

After the ferry crossing from Stronsay, we drove to the Harray Loch  first where the pupils had the chance to see what a 29lbs trout looks like (the one on the wall of the Orkney Trout Fishing Association hut… Then, a few casts on Harray and Kevin was already playing a beautiful Harray trout! On his first cast! No mean achievement!

The AFYD pupils from Stronsay on the Kirbister Loch (June 2011)

Then it was time to eat our catch and Kevin’s trout tasted lovely on the barbecue!

The wind was still very strong and moving to  Kirbister Loch sounded like a good idea as it offers free rising fish and “usually” the guaranty of a good basket. However, the trout didn’t want to play ball and it was a struggle to hook a few fish.

What I couldn’t help noticing though, was how our pupils’ skills had improved over a few hours fishing! Here they were, casting a perfectly straight line, retrieving at the right pace and controling the line, rod tip down as if they had done it for years! They had become very comfortable with a fly-rod and their casting looked easy and fluid like any sport action properly executed!

Well done boys!

(More to come on the AFYD/OTFA Junior Competition)

4 thoughts on “AFYD-Stronsay J.H. fishing trip.”

1. This was a trip well worth doing. Great fun and we were also learning lots at the same time. I hope we will do this another time. Thanks Mr Pietri

2. Thanks for your feedback Craig! I’m glad you learnt a lot and we’ll definitely have to organise another trip next year! In the meantime, you’ll have to try and hook some of those big trout from Meikle Water and Lea Shun!
    Tight Lines!
    Mr. P

3. Hi there I am so happy I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don抰 have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

4. Thanks very much for your kind words! Apologies for the delay in replying but we have been leaving the trout in peace lately. However, the time has come to hatch another batch of eggs and we’re getting tanks and pumps ready for the trout ova. We should be able to get “Troot in the Shed 2012” going in a couple of weeks and this year, we will probably have 3 or 4 Orkney schools joining the project.
    Come back on our blog and thank you for your support!
    Mr. P