usa-booklet-feb-17– Subject to change
Dear Parent/ Guardian,
There will be an USA trip information evening for parents and guardians on Monday the 6th of February at 6pm in the school theatre. The pupils involved are asked to attend too. This meeting will highlight details of the trip and cover important information that is still required. Parents/Guardians will be asked to sign consent forms, a pupil code of conduct and the pupils will be fitted for their USA trip hoodies.
We still require you to provide some information regarding your child’s passport and ask that you apply for your child’s ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) as soon as possible.
Instructions on how to apply for the ESTA are below. If you have travelled to the USA recently the ESTA may still be valid, but please check the date it expires as it must be valid for the entire trip. Please complete the tear off slip attached with your child’s passport details for our records. Please take care when completing this, as any amendments will result in a charge that parents or guardians will be liable for. Return this completed slip to Miss Valente by Monday the 6th of February 2017 at the latest.
- Visit https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
- Scroll down and select ‘individual application‘
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions
- Complete the applicant’s personal details
- First name only – no middle name required
Trip information required:
- Travel information – US Point of contact information
- Name: Heritage Hotel
- Address Line 1: 18 West 25th Street
- Address Line 2: NOT REQUIRED- leave blank
- City: New York City
- State: New York
- Phone No: (212) 645-3990
- Address while in the US – Tick same as US point of contact info
- Continue to complete application as per applicant
- Confirm application- Check the third party box if a parent is completing on behalf of an applicant. Select ‘next’
- REVIEW all details carefully
- Verify passport number, family name and country of citizenship
- Click ‘apply’
- Take a note of the application number
- Click ‘next’
- Click ‘pay’
- Complete payment details
- Once you have completed this process, authorisation may take place immediately or it can take up to 72 hrs. You should be advised of this after a few minutes.
- Please print and keep a copy for your records as it is valid for 2 years from the date of issue.
Please use the information provided to complete the tear off slip. This information has to be with the travel agent and airline in advance of travel.
If you have any queries or cannot attend the information evening please contact me on 01698 274 976.
Group Leader/Acting Principal Teacher of Pupil Support
When away, we will continue to follow the Taylor High School Promoting Positive Behaviour policy. Your health, safety and welfare on this visit are of paramount importance to the school and staff involved. This agreed Code of Conduct will help ensure our visit is successful.
- Not take unnecessary risks and must also be with one other member of our group at all times
- Follow the instructions of the group leaders at all times, whether it is when to report for breakfast or returning to ‘check-points’ on time.
- Dress and behave sensibly and responsibly at all times, being respectful to other travellers in airports, hotel etc.
- Show courtesy at all times to other pupils, teachers, hotel staff, guides and members of the public. This includes the use of ‘appropriate language’
- Look out for anything which may hurt and threaten you or anyone in the group and tell the group leader or another teacher about it as soon as possible
- Be punctual at all times, including bedtimes, breakfast meeting times etc.
- Follow bed times. The trip will be tiring and it is important that you get enough sleep to be able to enjoy the next days’ activities.
- Not leave rooms unless it is an emergency or instructed to by a staff member of THS or hotel staff.
- Always wear a seatbelt on the coach and ensure that bags do not obstruct aisles. You will be told about emergency doors, escape hammers etc.
- Carry the emergency contact card provided by your group leader at all times and ask for a replacement should you lose it
- Use your personal safety skills should you be approached by anyone you do not know
- Stay together with your group during sightseeing and other times when you are not directly supervised. Members of a group are responsible for each other at all times
- Be responsible for the carrying of your own luggage at all times and be aware of the excess baggage charges that may apply. You will be required to pay costs out of your own money should you go over these limits.
- Leave your rooms in a suitable state for hotel staff to clean etc. THS staff will carry out regular checks of rooms. Following an initial check on arrival. Pupils maybe charged for any damage found in the room thereafter.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU AS A PUPIL ON THE TRIP:
- consume, purchase or otherwise acquire alcohol
- bring through customs any alcohol, tobacco, flick-knives or fireworks (even as presents for others)
The use of Social Media
During the excursion please use Social Media responsibly. Do not upload photos from inside hotel rooms. If there is an issue with friendship groups, please inform a teacher. Do not post information relating to other pupils or staff. Remember that data roaming and accessing the internet in the USA will be expensive and you are liable for any costs.
Mobile Phones and valuables
Mobile phones are permitted on the trip, but parents/guardians are fully responsible for any bills incurred while on the trip. Parents/Guardians must acknowledge that it is their responsibility to ensure all data roaming is disabled before the child leaves home.
I am aware that all belongings such as IPad/tablets, jewellery etc. are the responsibility of the child and that the school, council or trip organisers will accept no liability for loss or damage during the trip.
What if a Rule is broken?
As we are in a residential situation in a foreign country, the breaking of any of the above rules will be treated seriously, as the consequences can affect your safety and that of the group. Where a member of the group breaks any rule he/she will face the possible sanction of being ‘grounded’ for a part of a day/a day in either the hotel or at the activity (supervised), taking no part in the activity. In the most serious cases, the group leaders reserve the right to consider sending the young person home, at the parents’/guardians’ expense.
The aim of this Code of Conduct is to try and ensure that your trip is enjoyable and trouble free.