The composition of the parent Council is determined by the Parent Forum. The Head Teacher is the professional adviser to the Parent Council. Members of the Parent Council, on a voluntary basis, may also have an advisory role in the investigation of cases of non-attendance and suspected truancy, and decisions on placing requests by parents in respect of those situations where the number of placing requests for a particular school or for a particular stage in a particular school exceeds the number of places available.
The Parent Council’s right and duties include:
- Supporting the work of the school
- Representing the views of parents
- Consulting with parents and reporting back to the Parent Forum on matters of interest
- Promoting contact between the school, parents, pupils, and the wider community
- Taking part in the selection of senior promoted staff
- Receiving reports from the Head Teacher and Education Authority