Head Teacher’s Blog

Letter from the HT – November 2020

Click here to download the November letter

HT Blog – Monday 26th October 2020

Dear Parents and Carers,

Communication Update – next 8 weeks ahead

I am delighted to introduce myself to you, as the new Acting Head Teacher of St Maurice’s High School.

As most of you know, I am a highly experienced DHT have been a Deputy Head Teacher for now 10 years at the school.  Loving every minute!  It is a privilege to work with amazing, kind, patient, hardworking and supportive young people across all year groups and the positive relations I already have with you and the team of staff.  As we all know, it is a unique community and a wonderful place to learn and work.

Like your children and young people, I was once a pupil at St Maurice’s HS, many years ago.  St Maurice’s opened up many opportunities for me, hence, my main driver is to help your children do the same and achieve outstanding success.

St Maurice’s School Community is a special place to be at the present time.

We are really looking forward to welcoming our new Head Teacher to St Maurice’s, Mr Kevin O’Connor.  The date he will commence is yet to be confirmed. More information to follow.

I would like to reassure you that during this time, well-being, safety and security is our main priority – as it always has been.  We understand that during the Covid 19 pandemic, it has been extremely worrying and uncertain time for everyone, and we have done everything in our power to make sure St Maurice’s HS is a safe haven for all our children.  We aim to provide you with an exceptionally high standard of service and continue to ensure our school priorities offer you the best opportunity for your young person to achieve and flourish at St Maurice’s HS.  We are extremely proud of all of our young people and their contributions to local, national and international communities. Your child will have many opportunities to get involved a huge number of activities within and beyond the classroom and this is as a result of the hugely committed and dedicated staff within the school who really care for all of our young people and are ambitious and aspirational about their learning targets.

The values of our school are represented by the SPIRIT of St Maurice’s and we ask all of our young people to remain focused on Success, Perseverance, Integrity, Respect, Inclusion and Trust in all that they do whilst at the school but also to carry these values into all aspects of their lives. As a Catholic Community, we also ask that you ‘Love God, Love Learning, Love One Another’ and this is at the very heart of our school ethos.

Covid 19 Measures – Parent Support Required

A reminder that all children and young people should bring their own face covering to school for the foreseeable future.  I have been providing masks daily, but supplies are now running low. I am reaching out for your support to ensure your child/young person has their mask with them at all times.

Within the school, face coverings should be worn in the corridors, toilets and in social areas (when not eating).  We appreciate that some children and young people will be unable to wear a face covering for good reasons and that position will be respected (medical reasons only).

It is really important that all children and young people should wear their mask on school transport on the way to and from school.  We have received 2 letters of concern, that a small number of young people, are still not wearing them on the school bus.  Please remind your child and young person that they must wear their mask on the school bus during the entire journey to and from school.  The Senior Management Team monitor the wearing of the masks on the bus, but some young people are then taking them off during the bus journey.  For everyone’s safety, everyone needs to be consistent. Your support will be greatly appreciated.  As always, we continue to monitor the situation and will take precautions measures when needed.

Our priorities as move forward during this term are as follows:

• Care and wellbeing of all of our school community. Never has there been a more important time to look out for each other.

• Continue to deliver high quality L&T experiences for all young people, whilst maintaining Covid 19 guidelines.

• All teaching staff are working hard preparing and being ready to have resources and materials available on teams, in the event of close contacts being identified in our school and resulting in pupils having to self-isolate for a short period of time.

• We are planning and preparing for our Senior Phase Prelim term in December. More information to follow.

• Reporting to parents on your child’s progress as per our Tracking, Monitoring, and Reporting Calendar. More information will follow for each DHT to explain dates and time, per individual year groups, for each DHT with responsibility for your child or young person. As you know, we are unable to host parents’ night but we are scheduling in additional tracking reports with comments in the near future.  Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.  I assure you the temporary changes are to protect you, our teams and the community.

As you know, this is a new experience for me, but I am very much looking forward to the challenge.  I know I have your support in helping me on this new journey.

Kind regards.

Tracy McGee

Acting Head Teacher

Westfield, Cumbernauld