St. Brigid's Primary

Gliding

Listen to Primary 4 practising this very special song ‘Gliding’, for our 140th Celebration Concert. This song was taught to generations of children at St. Brigid’s school by Miss McGarry (a former teacher) and her contemporaries. If the Parish of St. Brigid’s has an anthem, this is it.

Gliding

1. This is the best song ever.

2. Gliding is clearly the Parish Anthem.

Have the tissues on sale at the Concert!

3. Well done P4. That was lovely. I remember singing that song with our teachers when I was at Saint Brigid’s between 1977-83. It brings back memories. My mum even had Miss McGarry when she was at school.

4. What a fab song!!!!!!! :):);)

5. Great singing P.4
    Its’s fantastic letting our family and friends hear the lovely voices of the P.4 children.

Kirsty

6. Well done P4. You sound great – as always. We can’t wait to hear you performing it on the night.

7. This really brings back memories for me. As a little girl I used to go to the seaside with my Aunt Mary. It was the high light of the year as we didn’t really go on holidays. Everybody on the bus used to regularly sing this song. I was never taught it as a child BUT we listened to the adults and everybody else on the bus and picked it up easily. My daddy had Miss McGarry as one of his teachers (I think).

8. I can’t believe after all this time that I’m actually teaching it to a class of children in the 21st century. Primary 4 – you are great at singing this song! I wonder what Miss McGarry and the teachers of the 1940s would think about the song lasting so long.

9. Well done Primary Four! I love your singing. Can’t wait to hear it at the concert. Love Miss Brown xxx

10. Brilliant P4

Great to know that ‘Gliding’ is still being sung by St Brigid’s pupils.
    It was always a favourite on Parish ‘bus runs’.
    Miss McGarry will be smiling down and when her former pupils hear it at the Concert there will not be a dry eye in the hall.
    She taught it to our class sometime between 1938-1944.

Looking forward to the Concert.

11. Primary 4 brillant singing.

12. Michael’s granny loves this song. She was taught by Miss McGarry and is looking forward to hearing P4’s lovely singing at the concert. It will bring back lots of memories. Better bring some hankies!

13. There is another verse

“As it passess onwards. past by rocks beset
    Speeding swiftly o’er them bounding onward yet
    As its course grew shorter. waters slowly glide
    Till it reached the ocean mingling with the tide

Gliding swiftly through the …….. ~

We sang this in 1972 at an exhibition in the hall to mark the 1872 Scottish Education act. I remember as a pupil at St. Brigids being at Miss McGarry’s funeral, our Jim, my big brother served as an alter boy that day. God rest her soul

Kenny Keegan

14. Well Done Boys and Girls!

I have always known this song as it was a great favourite of my daddy(Edward Keegan)and it was sung to me as a child. He was one of those children who had learned the song from Miss McGarry while a pupil at St. Brigid’s school.

Good luck with your concert.

Maureen Walker

15. Well done Primary Four. You are excellent.

16. Well Done P.4. You are excellent 🙂

17. Good Luck to all the children who are taking part in the 140th Anniversary Concert this week. I wish I could be there.

18. Just been to the Concert. Absolutely fabulous.
    Children, F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. Not to be missed.

Congratulations to Staff & Pupils.

We are so proud of our school.

John & Mary Kelly

19. Wow P4! Gliding is one of greatest songs ever. Keep up the great work.