Primary 7 Welcome Letter – Term 1

A warm welcome to you all.
As you can imagine the children are very excited about becoming the new Primary 7’s. They have been very enthusiastic about their new role as leaders and role models within the school and have thoroughly enjoyed being buddies this first week back. Here is a brief overview of what your child will be learning in P.7 this term.

Children will continue on with North Lanarkshire’s Active Literacy Programme for Spelling, Reading, Writing and Listening and Talking. They will learn new words weekly and will complete active tasks within the class and at home.
We will be completing a modelling block in Term 1 where the whole class will work from the novel ‘The Dark Isle’. This will help refresh their knowledge in all of the comprehension strategies and ensure they fully understand how these should be carried out. The children will also take a home reader to help keep their fluency up.

Maths
In Term 1 we will be looking at Units of Measure, Expressions and Equations and Place Value. We will be studying place value in greater depth than before as we continue along the new Pathways Programme. Maths will be kept active for the children and they will be involved in ‘station’ work where they will move around a variety of active tasks and finish with some written work once the concept has been grasped. In addition to this, we will be continuing with our mental maths approaches and focussing on learning our tables even better than before so we can increase the pace in which we do our calculations.

Health and Wellbeing
Mrs McLauchlan will be delivering most of the Health and Wellbeing this term along with Science, however, I myself will be taking P.E for my own class. Children are to receive 2 hours of P.E every week and each class is timetabled to do so. Please note that children should bring their P.E kits in every Monday and they will receive P.E on a Monday and a Friday throughout Term 1.

Social Studies
Our I.D.L topic for Term 1 is the Rainforest. I am really looking forward to tackling this with the class as it is so vast and I feel the children will learn a great deal. It fits in well to our whole school theme of ‘Our Wonderful World’ and it’s great that all of the children’s topics from P.1 through to P.7 are related in some way. We will be looking at deforestation, medicines from the rainforest, animals and their way of life. I also know we will be able to produce some fabulous art work from this topic and make the children’s working environment a really attractive one.
Due to the fact that P.7 are involved in the play ‘Divided City,’ we are also going to focus on some of the themes raised in this. We will look at sectarianism in Scotland and the history behind it. This will enable the children to have a stronger understanding of the play and the background behind it.

R.E
In R.E this term we will be focussing on ‘Creation and Science’, ‘Other World Religions’ and looking at the life of Our Lady. P.7 are also leading First Thursday mass this term and I am sure they will work hard on this and show maturity throughout.

If you have any queries don’t hesitate to use your child’s diary as a means of contact with myself.
Thank you in advance for all of your support this year and we all can’t wait to get started.

Many Thanks
Miss Mitchell