Chapter 2 – The council with the Munchkins

What happens? 

Dorothy wakes up when the house stops moving and goes outside. She discovers she is in the land of Oz and that the house has fallen on and killed the Wicked Witch of the East. All that’s left are silver shoes, which now belong to Dorothy.  Dorothy learns that to get back to Kansas she must follow the road made of yellow bricks all the way to a great wizard who rules over a place called the Emerald City.

Have a think ..

Take a moment to think about these questions:

How useful do you think shoes made out of silver would be?

Like Dorothy, you will be going to a new place – your new secondary school – and you are probably wondering what it will be like. What personal skills and behaviours do you think will make your journey easier?

Focus on the silver shoes

When Dorothy’s house falls on the Wicked Witch of the East, all that’s left are the Witch’s magical silver shoes.

Find out more 

Watch this video to find out more about how one designer came up with three mad shoe designs.

Click here to find out more about silver metal

Challenge yourself!

Could you design a suitable pair of shoes for Dorothy to wear on her long journey to Oz?  They can be any kind of shoes at all – use your imagination and go wild. We’d love to see your ideas 🙂

More to explore

Dorothy’s arrival in Oz

Charms

Munchkin village

More to read

These books should be available through your secondary school librarian. If we’ve found a free version online, we’ve added a link.

The red shoes by Hans Christian Andersen is a creepy fairy tale about a pair of red dancing shoes. There is also an up to date graphic novel version by Metaphrog.

The elves and the shoemaker is a very short fairy tale by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.  StoryNory (6 min audio)

The Borrowers by Mary Norton is a fantasy adventure about little people who ‘borrow’ things from the Big People, and try to keep their existence a secret from humans.

A beginner’s guide to the periodic table by Gill Arbuthnott is an easy guide to lots of chemical elements including silver.

Now read Chapter 3: How Dorothy saved the Scarecrow

8 thoughts on “Chapter 2 – The council with the Munchkins”

1. I think Dorothy should wear some light weight shoes, just so it is easier to walk to the City of Emeralds.

2. Chapter two of the story was really good.
    I think that the shoes made out of silver was a kind gift from the witch of the North but I think Dorothy might need some good walking shoes to go al the way to the emerald city.
    Some personal skills and behaviours I think will help make my journey easier are: good friends, positivity and concentration.
    🙂

3. I think that the shoes made of silver might be uncomfortable especially for walking long distances such as to the emerald city and Dorothy might need a good pair of shoes to walk to the emerald city.

Some skills and behaviours that I think will help me in my transition are concentration, good teamwork, positivity, good listening and open to different ideas.

4. Silver shoes aren’t very useful there are many more useful shoes such as hiking shoes or running shoes.

I think the skills that would be useful in the transition to high school are:
    confidence, kindness, easy going attitude and good listening and communication skills.

1. I think you’ve got exactly the right ideas about high school, especially about good listening 🙂

5. I think that the silver shoes would not be good for walking that far. I would say that Dorothy needs to have good walking shoes like trainers. Personal skills and behaviours that would help going up to high school include: good organisation, good attitude and good listening. 🙂