Ladywell Primary School P1a 2015-16

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – North Lanarkshire site

June 10, 2016
by Mr Broadfoot
0 comments

Review of Primary 1 Activities (23-5-16 – 10-6-16)

I explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and show understanding verbally or non-verbally
MLAN 1-01a
The children have been learning some basic French throughout Primary 1. The whole school participated in a French themed day this week, whereby everyone would engage in French activities throughout the whole school day. The children took the time to practice our French songs in the outdoor classroom because the weather was lovely. The children have really enjoyed learning French and have been using it on a daily basis.
Within real and imaginary settings, I am developing my practical skills as I select and work with a range of materials, tools and software.
TCH 0-12

The children have been designing and creating their own models as part of a homework task, with a little help from the parents! As you can see the children have created some magnificent models and they are displayed proudly in our classroom. Well done boys and girls these look fantastic!

DSC00854  DSC00849 DSC00848 DSC00842DSC00812DSC00808DSC00805DSC00804DSC00803DSC00801DSC00797DSC00794DSC00785 DSC00813DSC00791DSC00788DSC00834
The boys and girls in Primary 1 have been continuing to learn about People Who Help Us. We have had two very important visitors in our class over the past few weeks. We have had a local Policeman and a local Fireman in to visit the boys and girls. The children can now identify exactly how both services help keep us safe in the community and explain the different duties they have in keeping us safe. The visitors brought some very important equipment, which helps keeps them safe, and the children were given the opportunity to try on the different pieces of equipment. The boys and girls thoroughly enjoyed these visit. This is highlighted by the fact that all the children now want to be Police Officers/ Fire Officers and also that they often perform in these roles during play.
DSC00825 DSC00824 DSC00823 DSC00822 DSC00821 DSC00820 DSC00819 DSC00818 DSC00817
The children in primary 1a enjoyed our games day in Ladywell Primary as you clearly see! The children played a whole host of games that the children brought in to have some fun. They enjoyed all games but ‘Pie Face’ was the clear favourite as all the children would come and have a shot throughout the morning. As you can see from the pictures most of children were unfortunate enough to get whipped cream on them during the game. However may I add that even the teachers had a go and somehow they managed to get the most cream all over them. We all had a great time!

May 20, 2016
by Mr Broadfoot

Review of the Week! Week Beginning 16/5/16

By exploring my local community, I have discovered the different roles people play and how they can help. SOC 0-16a

Inspired by a range of stimuli, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through activities within art and design. EXA 0-05a

This week the children have been enjoying learning about our Topic, People Who Help Us! They have been looking specifically at the Police Officer again this week. We have been looking at the different ways the Police travel in our community. The children created their own replica police cars using various different materials. They will be put on display along with the children’s Police hat and badge, they look fab!

DSC00759DSC00760

As I explore Christian stories, images, music and poems, I am becoming familiar with some beliefs Christian people have about God and Jesus. RME 0-01a 

As I play and learn, I am developing my understanding of what is fair and unfair and the importance of caring for, sharing and cooperating with others. RME 0-02a

The children continued to learn about Baby Moses. They have enjoyed this story and the different online resources and story books that have supported their learning. The children have created their own Baby Moses baskets that have been put on display in the classroom! Well done boys and girls!

DSC00765DSC00763  DSC00761DSC00762

I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations. HWB 0-17a

The children have also been learning about Stranger Danger! They have been made aware that a stranger is someone that we don’t know, who approaches us. The children engaged in a role play activity where they have been learning how to react in these circumstances. They have to run, yell and tell! The children were fantastic during this activity and enjoyed learning using role play. Well done Primary 1a!

DSC00753DSC00752 DSC00751DSC00750 DSC00749DSC00758

May 13, 2016
by Mr Broadfoot
0 comments

Review of the Week! Week Beginning 9/5/16

DSC00737 DSC00738 DSC00739 DSC00740

I am aware that different types of evidence can help me to find out about the world around me. SOC 0-15a 

This week we introduced our new IDL topic, People Who Help Us.

We discussed the role of a police officer in our community, specifically looking at the different equipment they need to help keep us and themselves safe. The children coloured and labelled a diagram of a police officer in our community. Furthermore,  we looked specifically at the different equipment the police have and how they use it. We painted and coloured our very own Police hats and Police badge. These are on display within the classroom to display some of the children’s best work.

I can collect objects and ask questions to gather information, organising and displaying my findings in different ways. MNU 0-20a

During maths this week we have been learning more about Data Handling. The children have been engaging in activities that allow them to collect information about the different children in the class and record this information using tally marks. Moreover, they used this information to create different pictograms and bar graphs. These have been on display on our Maths wall for the children to celebrate their work and to help consolidate their knowledge. We continue to challenge the children using Active Maths time each day to further their skills and their concept of Addition and Subtraction. The children have gradually moved on to more difficult sums with answers reaching numbers 0-20. This is excellent and the children are progressing well engaging in these different activities.

I enjoy exploring and playing with the patterns and sounds of language, and can use what I learn.LIT 0-01a / LIT 0-11a / LIT 0-20a

I explore sounds, letters and words, discovering how they work together, and I can use what I learn to help me as I read or write. ENG 0-12a / LIT 0-13a / LIT 0-21a

Within real and imaginary situations, I share experiences and feelings, ideas and information in a way that communicates my message. LIT 0-26a

During Literacy the children have been introduced to two new books and engaging in activities that check their understanding of the text. They have worked hard as always and have found these both challenging and enjoyable. We have introduced our new phoneme ‘ck’ and explored the different words that contain the phoneme. The children enjoy these activities and contribute well to class discussions about the new phoneme. Also our new common words ‘make, made and like’ were learnt and the children have been working hard to create sentences using the phoneme and common words. During story writing the children have been role playing as a police officer. We have been investigating the residence of the three bears after a break in from Goldilocks! The children enjoyed writing the police report and managed to create most of their own sentences using a word mat. Well done boys and girls!

I am aware of my own and others’ needs and feelings especially when taking turns and sharing resources. I recognise the need to follow rules. HWB 0-23a

The children have continued to learn about the different events they will be participating in at Sports Day. They have been learning how to stay in their line order and how the different teams will move between each activity. The children were introduced to different games this week also. On Tuesday and Wednesday the children have learnt various different games. Including crab race; throwing bean bag into the hoop; throwing hoop onto cone; balancing shuttle cock on head and races using different forms of movement. The boys and girls have worked very hard and have really enjoyed these activities especially out in the lovely weather. Fingers crossed we manage to get this weather on the actual day!

As I explore Christian stories, images, music and poems, I am becoming familiar with some beliefs Christian people have about God and Jesus. RME0-01a 

The children have been introduced to story of Moses during RME. They have enjoyed learning about baby Moses and have completed a cut and stick activity to consolidate their knowledge of the beginning of the story. The resources available have been excellent and the children enjoy using the online videos and slideshows to learn.

May 9, 2016
by Mr Broadfoot
1 Comment

Review of the Week! Week Beginning 2/5/16

This week was a short three day week, due to the bank holiday and inservice day. The children enjoyed the Teddy bears’ picnic on Tuesday. We got to make their own lunch in the class. They had the choice of cheese, ham and tuna for their sandwich and a drink with a piece of fruit. Their Teddy bears’ kept them company as they ate their lunch in the dinner school.

DSC00720 DSC00672

The children had a snack with their bear’s during the afternoon. They had cookie bears with a glass of juice. This was followed by some fun games in the gym hall.

DSC00703 DSC00702DSC00701

The children played fun games including Pass the Teddy; Teddy in the Frying Pan; Teddy Bear Statues and Teddy races! The boys and girls had a fabulous time and played all the games with great enthusiasm. Well done Primary 1a!

DSC00695 DSC00687DSC00686 DSC00681  DSC00678 DSC00677

We managed to write a great story on Wednesday about our time at the Teddy Bear Picnic. The children created wonderful stories and are continuing to really improve during story writing. We also worked hard to learn games for our schools sports day. The children brought in toys from home to use in our class experiment. We looked to discover how our different toys moved on the same surface.

DSC00729 DSC00733 DSC00735

April 29, 2016
by Mr Broadfoot
0 comments

Review of the week! Week Beginning 25/4/16

The children have enjoyed learning with ‘Eddy’ the Teddy! The name seems quite appropriate and the children have been engaging in various activities involving ‘Eddy’ this week.

DSC00657 DSC00656 DSC00658

As I play and learn, I enjoy exploring interesting materials for writing and different ways of recording my experiences and feelings, ideas and information. LIT 0-21b

The children have written stories about their teddy bears this week. We had some great stories, using fantastic adjectives describing their different teddies. All children participated very well and enjoyed this experience. The staff have been very impressed by the progress of the children, keep up the good work!

DSC00639 DSC00641 DSC00644

I am aware of how routines and events in my world link with times and seasons, and have explored ways to record and display these using clocks, calendars and other methods. MNU 0-10a

Primary 1a are enjoying learning how to tell the time accurately. The children are learning to tell the time using 12 hour clocks and realising the links to 24 hour notation. They can make links to their daily routine and to the time on the clock. As you can see they have enjoyed actively participating using the school clocks! We have also been learning how to measure using different units of measure. We managed to measure our teddy bears and record the size of the bears in cubes.

DSC00648DSC00649

During Physical Education the children have been learning how to share and use resources responsibly. We have been learning how to participate as a member of a team, making sure that all the children in our team feel valued and important. The lessons included learning the rules of sports/events that will be participated in during our school’s sports day. The children actively participated in these activities that include varied pace running (jogging, sprinting and relay). They have learnt how to pass the baton safely to each team member and how to safely participate in these events.

DSC00663 DSC00659 DSC00665

I am aware of how friendships are formed and that likes, dislikes, special qualities and needs can influence relationships. HWB 0-44a

The children have been learning about how to be a good friend to each other. They managed to identify why friends are important; that we all have special qualities; why it is important to care and share with others and how having manners is very important. The children gave great responses and examples of what makes a good friend. ‘Eddy’ was present to give each child their chance to contribute.

This has been a great week for Primary 1a! We have worked very hard and our efforts have been rewarded after receiving the class of the week award! Well done boys and girls.

Hello and welcome to Primary 1a

April 27, 2016 by Miss MacDonald | 1 Comment

DSC00382 DSC00384 DSC00386

Welcome to Primary 1a’s Blog!

We will be looking to update our online blog regularly to show how hard the children in Primary 1a are working. We hope you enjoy our blog and visit again to see the progress the children are making.

Kind Regards

Primary 1a