First Years Vs Climate Change

Recently, our talented first year pupils have been taking on the increasingly pressing issue of climate change in their Science classes.  We’ve managed to catch up with 1.7 who turned their learning into a fun competition, being tasked to build their own insulated houses!

Three of the intrepid First Years!    

All the pupils did exceptionally well, and their talents really shone through, pulling on their arts and crafts abilities as well as their knowledge of Science to build their ingenious houses.

First Years posing with their houses

The dedicated students worked on their houses over the Christmas break, bringing them in when they returned, and having the temperature inside them tested.

The winning students with one of the houses.

We spoke to some of the winning students, Melissa, Megan and Claudia afterwards.

Claudia said:

“It was a fun experiment, it was good to find out how different materials can insulate the house I built.”

Megan said:

“I used a shoebox and filled it with tinfoil to make my house. It was a close contest and I definitely learned more about Physics through it.”

Melissa added:

“It was a close run contest, a few of us even got the same final temperature! It has been my favourite activity in Science this year.”

Well done to all our inventive First Years, they certainly impressed Science principal teacher Mrs Shuel!

3 thoughts on “First Years Vs Climate Change”