International Conference Day 2

Well, that wraps up day 2 and the 2018 NL Schools International Conference.

Our school, St Aidan’s was given the difficult task of representing the views China in the two debates, and we did excellently if I say so myself.  But more on that later.

The day kicked off with our two pipers playing in a multitude of schools from across North Lanarkshire, followed by the Motherwell and Wishaw MP, Marion Fellows who delivered the opening speech.

After that, the debate started.

The first motion concerned equality and it was fiercely debated on both sides of the argument, with various points about various countries records with equality.

After the debate, votes were cast, and the motion carried, with a vote of 11 countries for the motion, and 9 countries against.

After that came everyone’s favourite pat of the day, lunchtime!

Of course I’m kidding, but Lunch did come with an amazing performance from the schools Swing Band.

Then we had the second debate, concerning nationalism and protectionism, which was even more fierce than the first.

Again votes were cast following the debate and a closing speech from 2 of our S4 pupils and this time the motion fell, with a vote of 9 countries for, and 11 against. The polar opposite of the first result!

A past participant then closed off the conference before the awards were given out.

The individual contribution award went to a pupil from the Russian Delegation (with myself a close second).

The team award went to the Syrian Delegation.

Finally the best badge went to the British Delegation (with us a close second…again).

The debates were enjoyed by all who attended and now we look ahead to next years conference and schools can again dream of picking up the winners shield.

Photography and Reporting done by Christopher Winters

3 thoughts on “International Conference Day 2”

1. Well done! Christopher. This is a very professional piece of work.
    You have done a remarkable job.
    The conference looks amazing.
    I am so proud of you.

2. This is excellent work Christopher. Your article reads well and you have taken some very good photographs.
    Well Done. 🙂

3. Well done Christopher. I enjoyed your summary of the International Conference along with the great photos. Your modesty is clear to see ha ha!