Is Duke of Edinburgh Worth It?

Personally, I learned a lot from my Duke of Edinburgh experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The skills I picked up will be with me forever, for example I gained more confidence in myself and I’m a more approachable person. I also learned some valuable outdoor skills like how to light a stove and assemble a tent as well as how to set up a campfire.

I think the experience really opened up my eyes as I realised that the way I live life at the moment, with access to electricity, computers, TV and mobile phones is a life of luxury and that living out in the wild is hard work. I made new friends during the expeditions as I spoke to people I wouldn’t normally speak to. I believe that the skills and confidence I gained will stay with me for life. I am now more inclined to put myself forward as a leader because of the communication skills I obtained, I am much more self-reliant. The award looks very good on a CV and employers are very impressed by this. The reason why is because the award requires a variety of skills. There is a volunteering, skills and expedition section which must be completed and it isn’t something that can be done overnight. The award takes time to gain and thus proves the dedication of an individual.

I got the chance to prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind towards. I think the award helped me to realise my full potential and learn a lot about myself. I stopped doubting and underestimating my abilities after I gained this award as thinking back on all the tasks I took part in, it shows how resilient I am.

I can assure you that if you take part in the Duke of Edinburgh Award, you will benefit from it. You will accumulate valuable skills that will stick with you and even make new friends in the process, but most importantly you’ll have fun. The experience is one I enjoyed very much and although hard at sometimes, it is something I’ll never regret taking part in.

By Lauryn Omeike

4 thoughts on “Is Duke of Edinburgh Worth It?”