Wednesday 5th March 2014

Today is Ash Wednesday and, as a faith community, we embark together on our Lenten journey. I imagine many of us will have already decided on what we intend to ‘give up’ over the coming weeks. However, it’s worth remembering the words of Isaiah:

“The kind of fasting I want is this: Remove the chains of oppression and the yoke of injustice, and let the oppressed go free. Share your food with the hungry and open your homes to the homeless poor. Give clothes to those who have nothing to wear.’ (Isaiah 58: 6 & 7)

This is very much in the spirit of Pope Francis’ Lenten message for this year, in which he challenges us to ensure our sacrifices genuinely ‘cost’ us something and make a real difference to those in need.

The weekly prayer service takes place in the oratory this morning at 8.45am. This is a wonderful way for us to begin the season of Lent. Although this formal prayer service only takes place once a week, individual pupils who wish to set aside some daily quiet time are free to use the oratory from 8.45am throughout Lent. This is something I’m personally going to endeavour to fit into my daily schedule during the coming weeks.

Please remember that all parents and carers are invited to join our school community for Mass in St Bartholomew’s Church this morning at 10.00am.