Tuesday 8th October 2013

The vast majority of St Bartholomew’s pupils come to school each day in full school uniform and many visitors comment on how smart the boys and girls look in their white shirts and ties. However, I have noticed over the past few weeks that variations on our school uniform have started to creep in, so I thought it would be worth tackling this in today’s blog. A letter will also be sent out before the end of term.

Please can I remind parents and carers of the permitted school uniform (as outlined in the school handbook and on our website):

– White shirt & school tie
– St Bartholomew’s jumper/cardigan or shop-bought black school jumper/cardigan (no hoodies, please)
– Black/grey school trousers or skirt (no tracksuits or joggies, please)
– Blazer (optional)
– Sensible footwear (preferably school shoes or dark-coloured trainers)
– Girls may wear a school pinafore or summer dress.

The topic of school uniform forms part of our Promoting Positive Behaviour policy (this can be found in the Information section of our website) and the following quotation outlines the approach I will take from the beginning of next term:

‘School uniform is seen as holding a key role in maintaining high standards of behaviour and discipline in St Bartholomew’s. The Head Teacher, with the support of Class Teachers, will monitor the wearing of school uniform and parents/carers will be informed if their child is consistently failing to come to school appropriately dressed.’ (page 4)

Many thanks for your support in ensuring that the highest standards of school uniform are maintained in St Bartholomew’s. We only need to take a look at the whole-school photograph in the school foyer to see what a huge difference it makes!

Finally, THE WEATHER IS FORECAST TO TURN COLDER TOMORROW. PLEASE LOOK OUT THOSE WINTER JACKETS!!!! Thank you.

2 thoughts on “Tuesday 8th October 2013”

1. Mr Young may I ask what is the official gym/p.e kit? Have been slightly confused over this matter. Thanks.

2. Hi Mrs Goldsmith. There is no official school PE kit. The only stipulation, in line with North Lanarkshire Council policy, is that no football strips are worn under any circumstances. My personal preference for PE kit would be a plain white t-shirt and dark coloured shorts. However, this is not something I would wish to enforce. As long as the children have suitable clothes and shoes (ie shorts, t-shirt and non-marking trainers) which allow them to participate fully in their twice-weekly PE lessons, I’m a happy man! Thanks for your question.