Friday 21st March 2014

I’ve been out of school for two days at the North Lanarkshire Head Teachers’ conference. Although it was really refreshing to listen to the various speakers and catch up with colleagues from across the local authority, it’s also great to be back in St Bart’s. I’ve missed the buzz of the place and I’m looking forward to catching up with the children and staff. Many thanks to Mrs Bolland and Mrs McIntyre for holding the fort in my absence.

The Nursery have their karaoke night this evening to raise funds for the children. Despite being a musician, karaoke is not something I’ve ever indulged in. However, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of willing volunteers tonight and that everyone’s in for a great time! As part of this fundraising event, the Nursery are also having a raffle. There are some great prizes, including a signed football top. Tickets will be on sale around classes today, with the draw taking place tonight.

Of course, with it being Friday, we have a new set of Pupils of the Week and trophy winners to recognise and celebrate at today’s assembly. As usual, names will be posted on the website later today.

We are now less than a week away from Parents’ Evening. This takes place next Thursday from 3.15pm onwards. Times of appointments have now been sent out; please notify the office as soon as possible if you are unable to make your appointment and we will endeavour to slot you in at an alternative time.

Thursday 20th March 2014

I heard an inspirational children’s choir at the Head Teachers’ conference in Motherwell yesterday. I’m not sure of its exact title, but the second song was about reminding ourselves that we can achieve anything we put our mind to. Although it’s good to have this sort of positive, optimistic outlook, it’s also important to remember that change in the world always starts with ourselves: something to bear in mind as each of us continue our journey through Lent.

This story was written by a monk who lived almost 1000 years ago.

‘When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.

When I found I couldn’t change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn’t change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realise the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realise that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.’

Food for thought.