Our Home Learning Policy

We are currently reviewing our Home Learning policy and will soon be making changes to improve support for learners by:

  • Ensuring that tasks are meaningful, varied and accessible to ALL learners

  • Improving pupil engagement with Home Learning

  • Improving on-time submission rates

  • Improving parental engagement with Home Learning tasks

 

What is Learning at Home?

‘Learning at home is the learning which happens in the home, outdoors or in the community. It can take place through everyday activities that families already do and can overlap with aspects of organised or active learning activities’.

(Scottish Parental Involvement Officers Network, 2018)

Why learning at home?

Children in Scotland only spend around 15 per cent of their waking hours in school. The remaining 85 per cent of their time is spent at home or in their community and this presents a significant opportunity for learning (OECD, 2014). What parents do with their children at home is more important than their socio-economic status. A stimulating learning environment outwith school can therefore be fundamental to their attainment and achievement.

What Does Learning at Home look like?

Defining the broad range of Home Learning activities can be challenging as it can overlap across many aspects of learning undertaken with parents, families, friends or teachers.

Activities that support learning at home can include:

  • learning at home / homework activities

  • families learning together

  • helping parents

  • sharing learning

  • decision making

  • communication methods

Information for Parents

You can read the Scottish Government’s recent review of Learning at Home and other helpful information for Parents by clicking on the links below:

Education Scotland Review of Learning at Home
Information for Parents

Show My Homework

We recently introduced the new Show My Homework software.

The Show My Homework app for Smartphone can be downloaded by clicking the links below and log-in information for parental access can be obtained by completing this short form:

Parental Access Request Form

.

 

Download the app

Download the Show My Homework smartphone app for iPhone & iOS devices
Download the Show My Homework smartphone app for Android devices

Help us to Improve

Parental Feedback

We are currently reviewing our Home Learning policy and would very much appreciate your help in ensuring that the changes we make are the right ones. The views of parents are extremely valuable to this process and will help us to make the changes that best support your child’s learning.

This online survey (link below) has 10 questions and should take no more than 2 minutes to complete.

COMPLETE PARENTAL SURVEY (Link not yet live)

 

Pupil Feedback

We are currently reviewing our Home Learning policy and you can help us ensure that the changes we make are the right ones for you. Your views are extremely valuable to this process and will help us to make the changes that best support your learning.

This online survey (link below) has 10 questions and should take no more than 2 minutes to complete.

COMPLETE PUPIL SURVEY (Link not yet live)