Primary 5’s Maths Club

Enjoying maths in P5

This year in primary 5 the children are vey lucky to have Charlie McLaughlan come in and support their learning in maths. The club is also supported by dedicated parent volunteers. For more information about the Maths club please visit our Brilliant Bloggers (Wiki). You will find a link to this on our blog.

If you are a member of primary 5 and have had the opportunity to take part in the maths club or have had the chance to take home some of the resources, please leave a comment to tell us about your experience.

Miss Docherty

17 thoughts on “Primary 5’s Maths Club”

1. Wow Room 8

Thanks so much for leaving all of these wonderful comments explaining what a Mihi is. I am now much more informed about this. We will talk about this in class and perhaps we could create our own Scottish version of a Mihi.

In Scotland our ancestors are from clans just as yours are from tribes. We belong to a clan and have a family tartan that would often be worn on special occasions. Perhaps we could use this to create our vey own Mihis which we could share with you.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us learn about your wonderful culture.

Miss Docherty and The Brilliant Bloggers

2. kia ora Miss Docherty,

My name is kennedy and im a student in room 8 at Melville Intermediate School. I live in Hamilton, Waikato which is in New Zealand.

What is a Mihi?

A Mihi is an introduction showing who you are and where you come from. You’re explaining you’re Whakapapa (family history)in the moari language. Your explaining/introducing your whanau (family) in a sentance. It’s when you take pride in your family and ancestors.

There are three New Zealand languages. The first one is English then it goes the maori language. Last but not least is New Zealand sign language. There are different types of tribes such as Tuhoe, Tainui, Ngati porou and heaps more. I am in the tribe ‘Tuhoe’ because of my ancestors.

It has been fun commenting on your page. I hope you know now what a Mihi is now.
    Thank you so much;)
    From Kennedy.

3. Kia Ora Miss Docherty

My name is Hayze and I am a yr8 student from rm8 in Melville Intermediate school,Hamilton,Waikato,New zealand and i am here to explain what a mihi is.

A mihi is a Maori introduction of yourself.
    you a talking about your whakapapa(which is a family history)

4. Kia Ora Miss Docherty,
    My name is Morgen and I am a yr8 student in room 8 Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand

A Mihi is a Maori way to explain/introduce yourself and where you come from and who you are.

5. Miss Docherty

A mihi is a Maori way for introducing your self or a way of what tribe or what river you come from or what mountain you come from. It also has your parents names and your grand parents names.
    R8 melville intermidiate,Hamilton,Waikato,New Zealand

6. A mihi is a introducing your self and lerning in maori u learn ur iwi,waka and more it is a fun way of learning in maori and getting to learn something new

David rm8 melville intermidiate Hamilton waikato,New Zealand

7. Kia Ora Chapelside p5 bloggers
    My name is Mackenzie and
    I am in Rm 8 at
    Melville Intermediate,
    Hamilton,
    New Zealand
    What is a Mihi

A Mihi is a introduction explaining who you are, the waka that your ancestors were brought on when you arrived in this country.The Mountain that you were born nearest to.Your parents names and you family name ( as in surname )
    Your meeting house were all your family goes to when there is a death in you family.Next your tribe that your ancestors, parents belong to and finally what is you name.
    Lastly I would like to say to you keep ut the great work because you guys are AWESOME!!!

Mackenzie,Rm8,Melville Intermediate,Hamilton,Waikato,New Zealand

8. a mihi is a maori introduction about yourself. you write what your tribe , your marae, your mountain, where you were born and your family name and other things like that.

Hannah ,melville intermediate ,waikato New zealand

9. Miss Docherty

A mihi is a introducing your self and lerning in maori u learn ur iwi,waka and more it is a fun way of learning in maori and getting to learn something new

10. Hi! I’m Shaylee. I’m in Rm8 Melville Intermediate, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand. you wanted to know what a mihi is.
    A Mihi is an introduction of yourself in Moari. In a Mihi you talk about your ancestors and where you come from. In a Mihi you include your name, Maunga (mountain), Awa(RIVER),your mother and fathers names, iwi (tribe), whanau (your family name) and the city or town you were born in. Thankyou for leaving a comment on our blog and I hope this answers your question.

11. Miss Docherty

Amihi is a Maori speech that you write about you self. You write your namemountain, place you were born, your boat, your Marae, your teacher, principal and a gew other things. Then you write them in a Maori Language.

Dante, Melville Intermediate, Waikato, Hamilton,New Zealand

12. Miss Docherty

A mihi is a Maori greeting.IN a mihi you write which closest mountain you were born,closest river, name of your parents and your name.

13. hi im kris and a mihi is a maori introduction that tells the listener about the person speeking. we learn mihi’s and maori because maori is one of the 3 languages(maori,english,nzsign lanuage).

14. Wow Kim !!!

That is a very full and detailed description of the game. It sounds like a lot of fun. It is a great way to develop confidence in working with fractions. We will be looking at fractions in the Awesome Octagons next term, I think that working with this game will help everyone with this.

Thanks for this excellent comment. 😀 😀

Miss Docherty

15. My favourite game is Auntie Pasto.You have to spin the wheel and depending on what you land on it decides what you do e.g there is choose one,take a quarter,take a half,take a third,share a slice and take a whole. Share a slices is you get to take a piece from another player.Also there is another landing choice but because we only get a short time, we can’t play it. All it is,if you land on take a box you get to pick up a pizza delivery box and put it on one of your full pizzas you have so if anyone lands on share a slice then they can’t take the pizza that has your pizza delivery box on it but if you land on lose a box then and you have a box you lose it but if you don’t have a box then you miss your turn but sometimes we play it that you get to spin again if you don’t have a box.Also the game is only a four player.That is only one of my favourite games but that is my N.o 1 game.:)

16. Hi Kim
    What one of the games is your favourite? I haven’t played any of them yet, but I really like the look of the time game. It has both digital and analogue time, and as time is sometimes quite tricky, this is an excellent fun way to gain confidence in this area. What do you think?

Miss Docherty

17. I’ve went to the maths club a few times before.You get to be in a group with some of your class mates and you get to pick a game to play,you get different games to play.Also its on a Thursday when the maths club is here and sometimes you have to give up gym time but only some of it. I love when I get picked to go to the maths club :).