Transfers and Enrolments

Across North Lanarkshire there are 122 primary schools, 24 secondary schools and a range of other establishments.

Entry to primary school

Normally your child will attend the local primary school. Details of the actual boundaries of the catchment area is available from the school. Entry is at the start of the new session in August each year.
In addition, the authority provides Gaelic Medium education at Condorrat Primary School, Cumbernauld.

You may also make a placing request for your child to attend a school other than the local school.

Entry age

Your child will be automatically admitted to school in August if his or her fifth birthday falls between 1 March of that same year and the last day of February of the following year.

You can, however, make a request for early entry to school for a child whose fifth birthday falls after the above period. A separate booklet, obtainable from the department of education contains full details.

Registering your child for primary school.

If your child is due to start school in August, he or she should be registered in your local primary school before the end of the proceeding January. Local advertisements issued in January each year provide full details on how to register your child.
Denominational and non-denominational schools

In most parts of North Lanarkshire Council there are Roman Catholic schools which serve a defined area. You may enrol your child either at a local denominational school or at the non-denominational school.

Additional support needs

If your child has additional support needs, you can obtain advice and guidance from the council’s psychological service.

Your child may continue to be educated in the local school or, in some cases, in a special unit based in a mainstream school. However, where the difficulty or impairment is particularly severe, it may be better for your child to be educated in a separate special day school or residential school. In any event, decisions on how the additional support needs of your child might be met will be taken only after full consultation with you.

Full information about additional support provision in your area can be obtained from the Support for Learning section. Information is also available about other special schools not managed by the council to which the authority sends pupils.

Report a Glow concern  Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.