Placing Requests

You have the right to make a placing request for your child to be educated in a school other than their catchment school. In December each year the authority will advertise its arrangements for placing requests. There are sound educational reasons for trying to ensure that the transfer or admission of children to a school takes place at the start of a school session. Other than those who are moving home, to a new area, parents are advised to time any placing requests so that they take effect from the beginning of the new school session. Every effort will be made to try to meet the parental wishes, but you should note that it is not always possible to grant every placing request to a particular school

Placing requests to primary school does not necessarily ensure that your child will have a direct entry into the associated secondary. Advice on this must be sought from the Primary School Head Teacher. Further information on placing requests and procedures is available from the school or the council’s website.

Parents and young people have a right, under the Additional Support for Learning Act 2009 as amended by the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2009, to make a placing request for their child or young person to attend a nursery (including partnership nursery), special school or, special class managed by the home authority. In the event of a successful placing request the authority are not required to provide transport. The Act also enables parents and young people to make a placing request to attend a school/establishment belonging to another authority.

Report a Glow concern  Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.