Learning in Health and Wellbeing ensures that children and young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. Learning through Health and Wellbeing enables children and young people to:
- make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
- experience challenge and enjoyment
- experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves
- apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle
- make a successful move to the next stage of education or work
- establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation of Scottish children
It also enables some to perform at high levels in sport or prepare for careers within health and leisure industries.
As part of the Health and Wellbeing programme staff and pupils will also explore subjects such as Personal Safety, Sexual Health and Relationships Education, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Road Safety, Bully Proofing, Keeping Healthy, etc. Parents are encouraged to attend workshops which provide information about these topics and to speak to members of staff if they have any concerns.
We have already gained North Lanarkshire’s Gold Health Promotion award for the work which we do in school and we are committed to continuing this good practise. As part of this health promotion work our pupils receive high quality health education and take part in a range of activities throughout the year including sport taster sessions, visits from our dental hygienist, a variety of after school clubs and opportunities to prepare healthy food.
All pupils have two hours of P.E. each week, some of which will be outside (weather permitting). This provides them with opportunities to develop physical skills, encourage confidence and co-operation with others and to foster a positive attitude to health and fitness. P.5 pupils attend swimming lessons in a 12 week block; a variety of coaching sports such as flag football, hockey and netball are offered when available.