I thought it was worth while spending a little bit of time looking over the topic 5 networking section before moving on to topic 6 “using networks”.
The slides I used in class are after the break.
Continue reading Network Revision
I found this great resource on this site
However, I have downloaded the file so the image can not be changed. You may need to download the file to read all the text.
I forgot to set today’s blogger so I will make the post today.
We started topic 5 &6 of computer systems today which is networking. You will find the full contents of the topic at the bottom of the post, these were lifted from the SQA arrangements.
Today’s lesson focused on the need for networks and the desire to share information. A lot of the class was spent discussing the sharing of information offline as well and online. We looked at the need for a Network Interface Card (NIC) and the advantages of central stores of information (Capacity and backup)
- Comparison of LANs, WANs, Intranet and Internet work in terms of transmission media, bandwidth, geographical spread and functions
- Distinction between a mainframe with terminals and a network of computers
- Descriptive comparison of peer-to-peer networks and client server networks
- Description of the functions of file, print and web servers
- Description of a node and a channel
- Description of bus, star, ring and mesh topologies using the terms node and channel
- Description of the consequences for each of the above topologies of node and channel failure
- Simple description of the functions and uses of a hub, switch and router
- Identification of the need for a network interface card (NIC)
- Description and explanation of the trends towards higher bandwidth and wireless communications
- Description of the following technical reasons for the increasingly widespread use of networks:
- advances in computer hardware, including processors, main memory capacity, backing storage, data transfer rates
- improved network related software, including browsers and network operating systems
- Description of the misuse of networks for the following illegal purposes: breaching copyright, hacking and planting viruses
- Description of the application of the Computer Misuse Act, the Copyright Designs and Patents Act and the Data Protection Act to the misuse of networks