Client – Server
- All resources (printer, files and Internet) on the network are controlled by the server.
- Centralised storage of data
- Centralised storage of data means regular back-ups can be made from the server.
- Security is set of easily using a server and client network. Usernames and password are easily given along with access levels for users.
- Used in businesses (banks) and organisations (schools, colleges, universities.)
Peer to Peer
- No centralised storage. Each workstation stores its data independently.
- No centralised storage means no back up system.
- Security is difficult because there is no mechanism for central access.
- Best suited with a trusting environment. Family home or small office.